Alex Sande
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi

I have already suspended my studies due to bereavement. My dad passed away due to cancer a couple of weeks ago. I have been advised to apply for CPR, which as far as I understand will give me 60 days of extra funding since I suspended my studies. My financial situation is difficult at the time and I don't know how the rent/bills/food will be paid during the next months without the next payment from Student Finance. My anxiety and depression has been increased due to my recent lost, which makes it even more difficult to cope with all this scenario. I know Discretionary Payment could be an option, but I'm not sure how it works. Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks
Shaun D SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alex Sande)
Hi

I have already suspended my studies due to bereavement. My dad passed away due to cancer a couple of weeks ago. I have been advised to apply for CPR, which as far as I understand will give me 60 days of extra funding since I suspended my studies. My financial situation is difficult at the time and I don't know how the rent/bills/food will be paid during the next months without the next payment from Student Finance. My anxiety and depression has been increased due to my recent lost, which makes it even more difficult to cope with all this scenario. I know Discretionary Payment could be an option, but I'm not sure how it works. Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks
Hi Alex,

So sorry to hear about your loss. If you wanted to go down the discretionary payment route you would call us so we can issue you the form via email. Once returned back to us this would allow us to assess the situation for continued payments through your suspension.

It normally takes 7-11 working days to process.

Warmest regards,

Shaun.
Alex Sande
Rep:
?
Hi Shaun

Thanks for the quick reply.

Somebody at SFE said to me that this is just for people who has suspended due to own health, so my father's loss would not been taken into account. I suspended my studies due to caring responsibilities and my next payments are necessary because as I still considered as a student I can't claim housing benefits/job seekers allowance. My only option is to whit drawl my course to be able to access those benefits. It doesn't makes sense to me to be in this situation, deciding between owning the first fee payment or suspending and not being able to access the benefits I need to keep moving forward after my loss.

Please, could you explain how I should proceed?

Regards

Alex

(Original post by Shaun D SFE)
Hi Alex,

So sorry to hear about your loss. If you wanted to go down the discretionary payment route you would call us so we can issue you the form via email. Once returned back to us this would allow us to assess the situation for continued payments through your suspension.

It normally takes 7-11 working days to process.

Warmest regards,

Shaun.
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Shaun

Thanks for the quick reply.

Somebody at SFE said to me that this is just for people who has suspended due to own health, so my father's loss would not been taken into account. I suspended my studies due to caring responsibilities and my next payments are necessary because as I still considered as a student I can't claim housing benefits/job seekers allowance. My only option is to whit drawl my course to be able to access those benefits. It doesn't makes sense to me to be in this situation, deciding between owning the first fee payment or suspending and not being able to access the benefits I need to keep moving forward after my loss.

Please, could you explain how I should proceed?

Regards

Alex
Hi Alex Sande,

Hardship applications are processed on a case by case basis and we would require you to send in hardship form with evidence to show that you're in financial hardship, this will then be passed to the processing department and they will make the decision on this based on your evidence, we would advise that you send in as much evidence as possible.

Thanks

Catherine
Alex Sande
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot

(Original post by Catherine SFE)
Hi Alex Sande,

Hardship applications are processed on a case by case basis and we would require you to send in hardship form with evidence to show that you're in financial hardship, this will then be passed to the processing department and they will make the decision on this based on your evidence, we would advise that you send in as much evidence as possible.

Thanks

Catherine
Alex Sande
Rep:
?
Hi

I called Student Finance and the person who attended me said that Discretionary Payments are only allowed to students who suffer from their own illness not to students who are struggling due to bereavement. The person on the phone was a little bit confused when I mentioned that those decisions are made on a case by case basis, so he decided to send me the form by email. How much of that is true? I'm confused with all the different info received.

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Alex

Hi Alex Sande,

Thanks

Catherine
Catherine SFE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi

I called Student Finance and the person who attended me said that Discretionary Payments are only allowed to students who suffer from their own illness not to students who are struggling due to bereavement. The person on the phone was a little bit confused when I mentioned that those decisions are made on a case by case basis, so he decided to send me the form by email. How much of that is true? I'm confused with all the different info received.

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Alex
Hi Alex Sande,

I can confirm that The Discretionary Payments Team work on accounts on a case by case basis, and have checked this with them and a team manager.

Thanks

Catherine
Alex Sande
Rep:
?
Hi Catherine

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alex

Hi Alex Sande,

I can confirm that The Discretionary Payments Team work on accounts on a case by case basis, and have checked this with them and a team manager.

Thanks

Catherine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (338)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (267)
44.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise