The Student Room Group

How can I tell someone that their breath smells terrible kindly?

I have a Chinese friend who has really bad breath. they keep on breathing on me when they talk and I can smell their breath, it is really bad. the friend's teeth look really bad too. they told me they had to see the dentist because last year they had sweets everyday. I believe that, in each break they have sweets/chocolates, the friend's teeth look really bad, plaque is on the surface which is terrible to see but they won't stop showing their teeth while speaking. they joke sometimes asking me if I brush my teeth which makes me believe they don't brush theirs and think it is a joke that i do. The friend has gone back home for the holiday to see family. How do I tell them they have really bad breath without offending them when they return?
Reply 1
Just offer him some mint gum
Original post by s817
I have a Chinese friend who has really bad breath. they keep on breathing on me when they talk and I can smell their breath, it is really bad. the friend's teeth look really bad too. they told me they had to see the dentist because last year they had sweets everyday. I believe that, in each break they have sweets/chocolates, the friend's teeth look really bad, plaque is on the surface which is terrible to see but they won't stop showing their teeth while speaking. they joke sometimes asking me if I brush my teeth which makes me believe they don't brush theirs and think it is a joke that i do. The friend has gone back home for the holiday to see family. How do I tell them they have really bad breath without offending them when they return?

omggg that is jokesss, i had the same problem with a friend, shes afghan, but one day she was speaking right up my face, and it was such a rank smell, not even being rude, so coz im always chewing a gum, i have a tub of it in my bag, i offered her two and she said why two? and i was like 'ur breath is quite foul'
Reply 3
Original post by s817

Buy him lots of mints, gum and breath spray for Christmas and make it look like a nice hamper....
Be honest without being rude.
sometimes being blunt is the only way u can get through to someone, not telling him, will get him bullied by other ppl, would u want that on ur mind, knowing that u had the chance to tell him but u never did?
It might be easier to message them than say it to their face?
There's no kind way. There are however some really horrible ways.

To minimise upset:
Tell them privately
Do it in an environment they can leave and be alone immediately after if they're upset. Worst would be in a place they have to stay composed in public for an extended time period after.
Have some recommendations so it's more like constructive criticism - local dentists, toothbrushes, etc.
Be honest and to the point, don't be too negative.

No matter how you phrase it you may lose a friend. But if you do and they changed their dental hygiene routine, you might have saved them thousands in future dentist bills and possibly save them their teeth. Ultimately is it better to ignore it and watch them rot away and possibly have a life with bullying and stigma, or to be honest and possibly not be a friend anymore? Your call.
be honest but be gentle do it 1:1, never do it with others as it's really embarrassing.

assure them it's because your friends and you care about them and people will judge them. if they go to a job interview for example it won't leave a good impression.

be part of the solution not the problem. just telling them won't help. recommend your dentist or offer to buy toothbrush/toothpaste if they can't afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending