The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
makes no difference to me if they are in a wheelchair or not...they are all people in their own right...so what if they are a different height..i'm short but i don't get people staring at me.

i feel great sympathy for the person having to push them tho...its tought work when the streets are not geared up to make life a little easier like lowered kerbs and non-cobbled streets...except when its their own fault that they are having to travel great distances to buy things like climbing gear :tongue: ring any bells LaLa? :tongue:
Reply 41
lucykins
makes no difference to me if they are in a wheelchair or not...they are all people in their own right...so what if they are a different height..i'm short but i don't get people staring at me.

i feel great sympathy for the person having to push them tho...its tought work when the streets are not geared up to make life a little easier like lowered kerbs and non-cobbled streets...except when its their own fault that they are having to travel great distances to buy things like climbing gear :tongue: ring any bells LaLa? :tongue:

*laughs!*:wink:
Chris L
:mad:
Would you class yourself as ignorant? You may be surprised. Its annoying to think that people automatically assume because you're in a wheelchair you're a cripple...that’s such a sweeping generalisation...are you a hacker because you use the internet? :confused: There’s numerous illness that confine people to wheelchairs, but not permanently.

When I'm pushing my girlfriend around, I can see people standing are staring as she goes past, mostly what I do is glare and try and catch there eye. They usually then look at the floor...are they ashamed of what they've been doing? How many of your mothers tell you its rude to stare? :rolleyes:

A great thing when pushing my girlfriend around in the wheelchair is meeting other people in wheelchairs, its almost as if there is some kind of camaraderie between them, and usually a wink or a smile is exchanged.

What annoys me when people talk to the chair and not my girlfriend, or use it as a leaning post (or sitting in some cases). Its the way they appear to dumb things down as if they are mentally superior that the other person because their brain is all of two foot higher.

Anyway, rant over...as you were... :tongue:

C.

Agreed 100 %, brilliant post.
Reply 43
I have so much respect for people in wheelchairs as I can't imagine life being confined to a place, and always having restrictions.

There was this time, at the Notting Hill Carnival, where amongst thousands of people, there was this one guy, driving along in his wheelchair, he looked cool, and didn't care that people were so blatantly staring at him. I had a lot of respect for him.
Reply 44
Chris L
:mad:
Would you class yourself as ignorant? You may be surprised. Its annoying to think that people automatically assume because you're in a wheelchair you're a cripple...that’s such a sweeping generalisation...are you a hacker because you use the internet? :confused: There’s numerous illness that confine people to wheelchairs, but not permanently.

When I'm pushing my girlfriend around, I can see people standing are staring as she goes past, mostly what I do is glare and try and catch there eye. They usually then look at the floor...are they ashamed of what they've been doing? How many of your mothers tell you its rude to stare? :rolleyes:

A great thing when pushing my girlfriend around in the wheelchair is meeting other people in wheelchairs, its almost as if there is some kind of camaraderie between them, and usually a wink or a smile is exchanged.

What annoys me when people talk to the chair and not my girlfriend, or use it as a leaning post (or sitting in some cases). Its the way they appear to dumb things down as if they are mentally superior that the other person because their brain is all of two foot higher.

Anyway, rant over...as you were... :tongue:

C.

*big ass grin at Chris L* :biggrin:
i went to the cinema with my friend (who uses a wheelchair) once.. we were sitting outside so she could have a fag before we went in, and she was sitting on the grit bucket thingy as a change of position, so i was sitting in her wheelchair..

when we had to swap back, there were laods of people around looking at us.. so I stood up and like raised my arms to the skiy and shouted "hallelujah! I'm cured!" ahem people quickly stopped looking.
Reply 46
crana
i went to the cinema with my friend (who uses a wheelchair) once.. we were sitting outside so she could have a fag before we went in, and she was sitting on the grit bucket thingy as a change of position, so i was sitting in her wheelchair..

when we had to swap back, there were laods of people around looking at us.. so I stood up and like raised my arms to the skiy and shouted "hallelujah! I'm cured!" ahem people quickly stopped looking.

(sry for late reply just started Uni) hehe yeah! one of these days i will have the confidence to actually do that! :wink:
whata fake thread!
...GiNuWiNe...
whata fake thread!

What?
Lauren (LaLa)
Would you stare at someone who is in a wheelchair?

No.
Lauren (LaLa)
Would you stare at someone who is in a wheelchair?

this has bn done b4:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending