The Student Room Group

Alternative entry using a previous undergraduate?

Hello!

I currently have a 2:2 degree in BSc Wildlife Conservation, but have found the job prospects to be very limited, and my interests to have changed since starting Uni (I kind of rushed into it a bit because it was the final year before the fees went up).

I am considering doing a part time course in Biology, but the entry requirements exceed the measly UCAS points I gained from A levels, which were C D U (I don't know what happened!) . I got onto the BSc course through a 2 year foundation then got offered a place on the final year BSc. My question is, will I be able to get onto a part-time course without the use of a UCAS score, and instead on the merit of having a degree in a scientific discipline? Does a degree yield UCAS points? I know Wildlife Conservation doesn't sound remotely scientific but many aspects of it were. Research tasks and lab work were included in various modules, and it also prepared me for essay writing including a dissertation.

If not, would my only option be to retake A Levels? I'm 24 by the way, don't know the easiest way of retaking A Levels at this point. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Toby_box
Hello!

I currently have a 2:2 degree in BSc Wildlife Conservation, but have found the job prospects to be very limited, and my interests to have changed since starting Uni (I kind of rushed into it a bit because it was the final year before the fees went up).

I am considering doing a part time course in Biology, but the entry requirements exceed the measly UCAS points I gained from A levels, which were C D U (I don't know what happened!) . I got onto the BSc course through a 2 year foundation then got offered a place on the final year BSc. My question is, will I be able to get onto a part-time course without the use of a UCAS score, and instead on the merit of having a degree in a scientific discipline? Does a degree yield UCAS points? I know Wildlife Conservation doesn't sound remotely scientific but many aspects of it were. Research tasks and lab work were included in various modules, and it also prepared me for essay writing including a dissertation.

If not, would my only option be to retake A Levels? I'm 24 by the way, don't know the easiest way of retaking A Levels at this point. Thank you :smile:

Have you considered Access? 1 year course that is the equivalent of doing 3 A-Levels. Your own A-Levels aren't great and are outdated now. Universities like recent study that is relevant to what you want to do. The Access course is great as it basically gives you a fresh start at university. Don't forget though, you won't be entitled to student loans if you have already used them on your first degree.
Reply 2
Original post by FutureHistorian
Have you considered Access? 1 year course that is the equivalent of doing 3 A-Levels. Your own A-Levels aren't great and are outdated now. Universities like recent study that is relevant to what you want to do. The Access course is great as it basically gives you a fresh start at university. Don't forget though, you won't be entitled to student loans if you have already used them on your first degree.

Ah awesome thanks for this I'll look into it. I was also thinking about Open University, do you know if that would be a good idea? I just don't know if the lack of access to a lab would be an issue with regards to studying biology?
Ah awesome thanks for this I'll look into it. I was also thinking about Open University, do you know if that would be a good idea? I just don't know if the lack of access to a lab would be an issue with regards to studying biology?

The Open University would be a good idea in your situation. You don't need to meet entrance requirements and you can pay in installments. I have a friend who completed the Natural Science BSc. They use online laboratories. These are interactive almost game like platforms. Really good for being able to complete experiments without the need for a real lab. She liked the course and ended up going onto a masters. She didn't feel any less at an advantage for having done online science.
Reply 4
Original post by FutureHistorian
The Open University would be a good idea in your situation. You don't need to meet entrance requirements and you can pay in installments. I have a friend who completed the Natural Science BSc. They use online laboratories. These are interactive almost game like platforms. Really good for being able to complete experiments without the need for a real lab. She liked the course and ended up going onto a masters. She didn't feel any less at an advantage for having done online science.

Ah that's good to hear from a reliable source! I'll probably look at doing an access course to better prepare myself for OU, then go ahead an apply for that. I can always apply for physical lab work experience in the meantime.

Can't thank you enough for your great response, it's been a massive help :smile:

Cheers!
Ah that's good to hear from a reliable source! I'll probably look at doing an access course to better prepare myself for OU, then go ahead an apply for that. I can always apply for physical lab work experience in the meantime.

Can't thank you enough for your great response, it's been a massive help :smile:

Cheers!

Glad to be of help. Good luck with your future studies!

:merryxmas:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending