The Student Room Group

Am I lazy for not having a job in year 13?

One of my friends has just called me lazy for not having a job and I'm a little ????? right now (they didn't mean it in a jokey way either). I'm in year 13 and although I would like to have a job it's just that my a-levels are my top priority atm. Idk why I'm making this thread I just feel a bit guilty now??

Scroll to see replies

If you don't need a job it's very sensible to focus on your A levels.
Since you're still in education you don't really need one. It means you can focus more on A-levels and get good grades.
My friends and I didnt have a job in year 13.
Depends how much you wanna work. If your family is a bit poor then I'd recommend a part time job to take the burden off your parents.
Definitely not lazy, I had a job over summer and into the first few months of year 13 but I’ve had to give it up now to focus on A levels. Whilst it is nice to have a job, I agree with you that A levels should be a priority. Don’t feel guilty 😊
Most people in my school didn't have a job during A Levels (including me).

Most people don't really think about getting part time jobs until they reach uni (because that's when the reality of life hits you and you actually need one) - although even now most of my course cohort don't work, so no you shouldn't feel lazy.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
One of my friends has just called me lazy for not having a job and I'm a little ????? right now (they didn't mean it in a jokey way either). I'm in year 13 and although I would like to have a job it's just that my a-levels are my top priority atm. Idk why I'm making this thread I just feel a bit guilty now??

Tbh im in my last year of college and dont have a job yet, id not listen to your friend. Get a job if you want money to treat yourself and parents but only if you can balance with your studies
The only one who should decide your laziness is you.
No you are not lazy because education has to be your top priority. However, if you think you can juggle both equally then it may be worth applying for jobs especially if you need some ££
most people I know didn't have one in year 13. your studying should be your priority
you know this is a question for yourself. do you think your lazy ? as long as you know your not your alright.i don't have a job neither and I am in year 12. I am looking though however jobs are not your first priority it is not mine either. education is more important!!!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
If you don't need a job it's very sensible to focus on your A levels.

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Since you're still in education you don't really need one. It means you can focus more on A-levels and get good grades.
My friends and I didnt have a job in year 13.

Original post by Appleorpear
Depends how much you wanna work. If your family is a bit poor then I'd recommend a part time job to take the burden off your parents.

Definitely not lazy, I had a job over summer and into the first few months of year 13 but I’ve had to give it up now to focus on A levels. Whilst it is nice to have a job, I agree with you that A levels should be a priority. Don’t feel guilty 😊

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Most people in my school didn't have a job during A Levels (including me).

Most people don't really think about getting part time jobs until they reach uni (because that's when the reality of life hits you and you actually need one) - although even now most of my course cohort don't work, so no you shouldn't feel lazy.

Original post by abbynub
Tbh im in my last year of college and dont have a job yet, id not listen to your friend. Get a job if you want money to treat yourself and parents but only if you can balance with your studies

Original post by SWCoffee
The only one who should decide your laziness is you.

Original post by JohanGRK
Not having a job during term time is normal.

Lots of people pick up jobs over the holidays if they need to.

Original post by Blackstarr
No you are not lazy because education has to be your top priority. However, if you think you can juggle both equally then it may be worth applying for jobs especially if you need some ££

Original post by DCFCfan4eva
most people I know didn't have one in year 13. your studying should be your priority

you know this is a question for yourself. do you think your lazy ? as long as you know your not your alright.i don't have a job neither and I am in year 12. I am looking though however jobs are not your first priority it is not mine either. education is more important!!!

Thank you guys :smile:
Reply 12
If you don't get good grades, you'll be stuck with that job

Focus on A-levels then Uni degree (If that's what the route you desire).

If you desperately need a job for money to live then sure get one.

But after you've got your degree, you'll be earning a graduate salary and have a proper career.

Unlike your triggered friend who will likely still be working their minimum wage job because they failed their A-Levels and can't get into uni.

If you want a job, you can get a job. If you don't want a job, don't get a job. It's not up to someone else to decide whether you should be working or not!
You'll get more money in the long term working your ass off and getting into a good uni and getting a good career than messing up your a levels and not being able to get the career you want for the sake of a few extra bucks a week... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm in year 13 and don't have a job either. You're not lazy, you just have different priorities than others who are of the same age as you.
Reply 17
It is definitely a boon but most certainly not a prerequisite so don't worry to much about it.
No most definitely not lazy. You should be concentrating on your education as of now. I wouldn’t worry about getting a job until you have left year 13. That’s what I did, my first proper job was when I was 19.
Im in yr12 and i don't have a job - its not lazy it's actly sensible to focus on your studies. Only reason you'd get a job is if you rly needed the money like for your car or summin. But it's not lazy by any means and if the person who said that to you also doesn't have a job then they're just feeling guilty I think