The Student Room Group

Which stats test to use?

I'm working my way through a worksheet in preparation for an assignment which involves identifying what statistics tests are appropriate to use with different study types. The details that we have been given are quite vague but I've been able to work out most of the examples. The one I'm stuck on is the following:

Comparing two different social groups from a population, one of which is supposedly more impoverished and deprived than the other, and aiming to test if the more deprived population is less likely to be able to read.

The data is not normally distributed so I assumed a non-parametric test would be appropriate. However I'm unsure of which one. I thought the two different backgrounds of the groups might make them be considered independent variables and so the Mann-Whitney Test might be appropriate. Or are they perhaps categorical variables so would the Chi-squared test be more appropriate.

I'm sure I've explained this terribly and I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm so lost at present and any help would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest