Sam1024
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone please help me on what to include for the evaluation about the root tip.
Thanks
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are you evaluating exactly - is there a specific question you've been asked to answer? Are you evaluating your practical method? Are you evaluating your 'individual performance' against the CPAC?
chocolateoreo99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some random evaluation points I have found (assuming it is the same practical I did, observing mitosis?):

- Human error in counting the number of cells affecting results

- Not left in solution for long enough for successful staining

- Microscope resolution

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Sam1024
Rep:
?
(Original post by SummerStrawberry)
What are you evaluating exactly - is there a specific question you've been asked to answer? Are you evaluating your practical method? Are you evaluating your 'individual performance' against the CPAC?
I am evauluating my practical method, as i am unsure on what to include. I have attached my practical method below:

1. 1. Firstly, you have to stand the beaker on a bench mat before adding (approximately) 10ml of Hydrochloric Acid ( 5 mol dm-3)
  2. 2. Secondly, place about 2 cm3 of the root tip in the acid and leave it in there for 15 minutes.
  3. 3. Next, set up the microscope whilst you are waiting.
  4. 4. After that, you will need to rinse the root tip in distilled water in the watch glass.
  5. 5. Moreover, cut off the root tip (approximately 1mm) and place it on the microscope slide.
  6. 6. In addition, you will need to cover the section with toluidine blue stain and macerate with the mounted needle to separate the cells.
  7. 7. Furthermore, you will continue to macerate until the tissue is well broken and the cells are stained in dark blue.
  8. 8. Next, add a cover slip and with gentle finger pressure ‘spread’ the material and blot at the same time by using a folded filter paper between the finger and the slide.

Finally, look carefully at all slides for the cells undergoing mitosis. As the chromosomes should be stained dark blue. This will need to be repeated for several fields of views.

Thanks
Sam1024
Rep:
?
(Original post by chocolateoreo99)
Some random evaluation points I have found (assuming it is the same practical I did, observing mitosis?):

- Human error in counting the number of cells affecting results

- Not left in solution for long enough for successful staining

- Microscope resolution

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
17.05%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.83%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (38)
29.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.6%

Watched Threads