The Student Room Group

Accounting, help with calculations!

Hi, I'm designing a system using excel to make a profit/loss account. However, I am unsure on how to calculate the "Misc Sub Total", "Balance Brought Forward", "Total for Money In", "Balance Carried Forward" and "Total for Money Out".

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
You would not have money in money out on a P & L, a P & L is not a cashflow statement, the cashflows are the resultants of the transactions within the accounts, the bank merely features as an asset or liability in the balance sheet.

When you sell for cash for say £1,000 you have Dr Bank £1,000, Cr Sales £1,000, only the Credit features within the P & L, the bank side features within the balance sheet, all the debits/credits to bank, plus b/fwd, creating the c/fwd.

How I use excel re accounts prep is say as an extended trial balance, if I want to create accounts from this I set up the accounts layout and link the end cells in the ETB through to the accounts page (remember to deal with positives/negatives), in effect get the double entry sorted within the ETB and extract the resultants re reporting.

In reality Excel is not a great tool re final accounts, text formatting etc is not simple and whilst in the past I produced some accounts using excel these days one would more likely export as a csv file or manually post the trial balance figures into software designed to produce accounts.

The key to using excel re accounts is a very strong understanding of your debits and credits, understanding what the two sides are re any accounting transaction is crucial.
Original post by DJKL
You would not have money in money out on a P & L, a P & L is not a cashflow statement, the cashflows are the resultants of the transactions within the accounts, the bank merely features as an asset or liability in the balance sheet.

When you sell for cash for say £1,000 you have Dr Bank £1,000, Cr Sales £1,000, only the Credit features within the P & L, the bank side features within the balance sheet, all the debits/credits to bank, plus b/fwd, creating the c/fwd.

How I use excel re accounts prep is say as an extended trial balance, if I want to create accounts from this I set up the accounts layout and link the end cells in the ETB through to the accounts page (remember to deal with positives/negatives), in effect get the double entry sorted within the ETB and extract the resultants re reporting.

In reality Excel is not a great tool re final accounts, text formatting etc is not simple and whilst in the past I produced some accounts using excel these days one would more likely export as a csv file or manually post the trial balance figures into software designed to produce accounts.

The key to using excel re accounts is a very strong understanding of your debits and credits, understanding what the two sides are re any accounting transaction is crucial.

This sounds very complicated, I'm actually only doing A levels and I'm just designing a system for my IT Coursework...So I was unaware that excel would be inefficient. But thank you!
Reply 3
So what do you need to produce, just an accounts layout something like the following with various subtotals etc?

Sales

Cost of Sales
Opening stock
Purchases
Closing stock

Gross Profit
Other Income

Distribution costs
Administration costs
Finance Costs

Profit before tax
Taxation
Profit after tax

Is that the sort of thing, what sort of entity.

I suspect excel is what you have to work with, i just find it clumsy re actual published accounts, as a school exercise I am sure it will be fine.
Original post by DJKL
So what do you need to produce, just an accounts layout something like the following with various subtotals etc?

Sales

Cost of Sales
Opening stock
Purchases
Closing stock

Gross Profit
Other Income

Distribution costs
Administration costs
Finance Costs

Profit before tax
Taxation
Profit after tax

Is that the sort of thing, what sort of entity.

I suspect excel is what you have to work with, i just find it clumsy re actual published accounts, as a school exercise I am sure it will be fine.

This is the layout https://i.imgur.com/wxbtfaH.png.
Reply 5
Original post by Angelic Charm

Okay, I get it, a receipts and payments sheet reconcilling cash in and cash out for the week.

Where again are you stuck, was it the b/fwd and c/fwd bit?
Reply 6
Original post by DJKL
Okay, I get it, a receipts and payments sheet reconcilling cash in and cash out for the week.

Where again are you stuck, was it the b/fwd and c/fwd bit?

You need a Total ALL Receipts line, probably on left alongside Total All Expenses.

then c/fwd is B/Fwd + Total all Receipts -Total all Expenses
Oh okay, so that's how you calculate the balance carried forward. But how do you calculate balance brought forward? And what would I put in for the total column? Sorry for all these questions x_x I don't do accounting.
Reply 8
Other receipts needs to sub total down to Receipts Sub Total (currently £8)
Total All Receipts is Takings Total +Receipts Sub Total+Misc sub Total

I would sub total the Other expenses and then make this sub total+purchases sub total equal The Total ALL Expenses figure.

I think that ought to make it work, great sales day on Monday:smile:
Reply 9
Oh okay, so that's how you calculate the balance carried forward. But how do you calculate balance brought forward? And what would I put in for the total column? Sorry for all these questions x_x I don't do accounting.

The Balance b/fwd is the cash you start with at the start of the week, if any, presume question gives you this, you cannot really calculate it as it is what it is.
Reply 10
Original post by DJKL
The Balance b/fwd is the cash you start with at the start of the week, if any, presume question gives you this, you cannot really calculate it as it is what it is.

I would have a total row not a column, it adds the sub totals above it.
Original post by DJKL

Thank you very much! Is the section for the total column the same as the what you get for balance brought forward/balance carried forward then? For example if you got 1000 in balance carried forward you would put 1000 in the total section?
Reply 12
Thank you very much! Is the section for the total column the same as the what you get for balance brought forward/balance carried forward then? For example if you got 1000 in balance carried forward you would put 1000 in the total section?

NO

On the received side (left) you need three sub totals

Takings Total-You have this
Other Receipts Sub Total-you have this but it does not add at present
Misc Sub Total-You have this but not sure it works as no numbers

The three of these need a line below, on the left, Labelled say All Receipts

On the Right you have:

Purchases Total
Total Expenses

You need a row that add these together, say call it All Payments

Then C/fwd is B/Fwd plus All Receipts minus All Payments

Quick Reply