The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh with ABB?

I've already taken my A-levels and came out with ABB. I already have a place, that I deferred, at Leeds university for Philosophy (they asked for AAB but still got in with ABB on results day).
I much prefer Edinburgh and would like to reapply there but don't know if its worth rejecting my place at Leeds just to be rejected by Edinburgh too.
On the website it says a 'typical offer' is AAB but 'minimum entry requirements' are ABB, but I know Edinburgh is quite competitive so am not sure how likely it is is that i'll get accepted. Also, if I reapply to Leeds too is it likely they'd accept me again?
I did consider applying through clearing but I don't want to risk the course not being there and ending up with bad accommodation.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
From what I understand, English applicants face slightly less competition due to high fees.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/rest_of_uk_admissions_statistics.pdf
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Quick question - how did you convince Leeds to let you in despite the fact you got a lower offer? Just because I'm thinking of firming them for philosophy, but I genuinely don't think I can get AAB...
And also, you have the same chances of getting into Leeds if you reapply, so don't worry about that :smile: You could potentially get into Edinburgh but you'll have to make sure your personal statement stands out as obviously your grades won't be as strong as some of the other applicants.
Original post by 100years
I've already taken my A-levels and came out with ABB. I already have a place, that I deferred, at Leeds university for Philosophy (they asked for AAB but still got in with ABB on results day).
I much prefer Edinburgh and would like to reapply there but don't know if its worth rejecting my place at Leeds just to be rejected by Edinburgh too.
On the website it says a 'typical offer' is AAB but 'minimum entry requirements' are ABB, but I know Edinburgh is quite competitive so am not sure how likely it is is that i'll get accepted. Also, if I reapply to Leeds too is it likely they'd accept me again?
I did consider applying through clearing but I don't want to risk the course not being there and ending up with bad accommodation.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

YES. I got into History and Italian, an AAA course with acceptance rates of about 40%, with ABB just yesterday morning :smile:

They usually give you the lower grade if you fit certain criteria, which includes being in an ACORN Band 4-6 (it's worth searching your own postcode to be sure), and that's then flagged by the system when it comes to admissions. Other things include level of progression to uni in your area and any extenuating circumstances, etc.

As for Leeds yes, you can reapply - I accepted Glasgow's offer earlier this January and got an offer from them again this year (and within 1 day, so it's not like they take their time mulling you over). You just need to impress them again with different topics and such, but you can totally do it.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by petitapetit
Quick question - how did you convince Leeds to let you in despite the fact you got a lower offer? Just because I'm thinking of firming them for philosophy, but I genuinely don't think I can get AAB...

If a university liked you but considered you borderline, they can flag you as "one to watch", since they know number of offers given =/= number of acceptances or meeting requirements. For some subjects like Philosophy, some places don't get enough applications and so are more likely to give you an offer even if you don't exactly meet their requirements. It's all really down to the uni's circumstances.
I was conditionally offered ABB for Edinburgh to start in 2016. My predicted grades were A*A*A and I ended up getting AAB, so went. I also applied to Leeds, my second choice, but my offer was AAA and they rejected me on the AAB. I study English Literature and History at Edinburgh and absolutely love my English course, but the student life is quite bleak (in my second year now and time is crawling at a glacial rate). I'd say look into student satisfaction and societies, do a bit more research before going through with either. In my opinion the two are more or less equal with regards to status and graduate employment rates for arts courses. Edinburgh is genuinely full of Surrey toffs who've never had a job or gone on public transport and are somehow all still mourning Amy Winehouse. I can't do anything fun socially because everyone around me says its a fire hazard or has too much sugar. I'm not a crazy kook either, just a regular kid who wants to God-forbid light a candle every now and again. Very sheltered, very similar group of people. Very, very wealthy, and very middle class. I have a friend at Leeds and have been to visit him and it seems a lot more like a typical student life. Friendly people, no name dropping, go out every now and again, seem relatively happy. I was going to take a Philosophy course last semester but dropped it in the second week because it was all stuff covered in the AS level course I'd done at school, but good lecturers. Can't speak of Leeds Uni classes. But, ramble over, do your research before. They're similarly valued, similarly old, pretty cities, similar size, but, in my opinion, very different students.
Reply 7
Original post by petitapetit

I didn't have to convince them, I just checked my UCAS on results day and saw I got but then realised I had lower results. I guess it depends on the year and how many people have applied for the course and what results they get. Hopefully you do get AAB but even if you don't I think you should have a good chance. A friend of mine goes to Leeds, she needed AAB but got BBB! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by CastCuraga
YES. I got into History and Italian, an AAA course with acceptance rates of about 40%, with ABB just yesterday morning :smile:

They usually give you the lower grade if you fit certain criteria, which includes being in an ACORN Band 4-6 (it's worth searching your own postcode to be sure), and that's then flagged by the system when it comes to admissions. Other things include level of progression to uni in your area and any extenuating circumstances, etc.

As for Leeds yes, you can reapply - I accepted Glasgow's offer earlier this January and got an offer from them again this year (and within 1 day, so it's not like they take their time mulling you over). You just need to impress them again with different topics and such, but you can totally do it.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thats good to know, still haven't decided if i'll reapply but I have a bit more hope now! My postcode is in band 4 but I did go to quite a good school where a lot of students did much better than me so hopefully that won't be much of a disadvantage.
Reply 9
Original post by Melquiades
I was conditionally offered ABB for Edinburgh to start in 2016. My predicted grades were A*A*A and I ended up getting AAB, so went. I also applied to Leeds, my second choice, but my offer was AAA and they rejected me on the AAB. I study English Literature and History at Edinburgh and absolutely love my English course, but the student life is quite bleak (in my second year now and time is crawling at a glacial rate). I'd say look into student satisfaction and societies, do a bit more research before going through with either. In my opinion the two are more or less equal with regards to status and graduate employment rates for arts courses. Edinburgh is genuinely full of Surrey toffs who've never had a job or gone on public transport and are somehow all still mourning Amy Winehouse. I can't do anything fun socially because everyone around me says its a fire hazard or has too much sugar. I'm not a crazy kook either, just a regular kid who wants to God-forbid light a candle every now and again. Very sheltered, very similar group of people. Very, very wealthy, and very middle class. I have a friend at Leeds and have been to visit him and it seems a lot more like a typical student life. Friendly people, no name dropping, go out every now and again, seem relatively happy. I was going to take a Philosophy course last semester but dropped it in the second week because it was all stuff covered in the AS level course I'd done at school, but good lecturers. Can't speak of Leeds Uni classes. But, ramble over, do your research before. They're similarly valued, similarly old, pretty cities, similar size, but, in my opinion, very different students.

Thats a shame about the social life in Edinburgh, I was worried about Leeds as I thought it had a bit of a reputation for being quite party and drugs focused which I don't think I could handle. I would want to go out once or twice a week and Edinburgh seemed like a good balance. Would you mind saying what halls you're in and do you think this could be part of the problem as I've heard there can be quite big differences between them.
Original post by 100years
Thats good to know, still haven't decided if i'll reapply but I have a bit more hope now! My postcode is in band 4 but I did go to quite a good school where a lot of students did much better than me so hopefully that won't be much of a disadvantage.

https://admission-checker.is.ed.ac.uk/

Shove your data in this and it'll tell you if you're eligible for any contextual offers (which will be the lower ones; i.e. ABB). More flags is better but it only needs one - this lil tool will tell you what you need to know :smile:
Original post by Melquiades

Gosh. Sounds like you've had a terrible experience.

A completely different story for me at the School of Informatics and the School of Engineering. All of the students are anything but sheltered and fairly down to earth.

I suppose the mindset is different for humanities/arts students and STEM students?
Informatics students at Edinburgh are extremely intelligent and I was required to get AAA for Edinburgh. I think the informatics school is more nerdy and has alot more internationals/europeans vs British people. I would say for philosophy Edinburgh demolishes Leeds...top 20 in the world and for anything STEM defo Edinburgh. However I can imagine the surrey toffs makes alot of sense at Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest