Is sussex considered a prestigious uni? Watch

toniator23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know there not like actually prestigious like oxbridge but are they on the same level as birmingham or leeds
username3650628
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're well up in the league tables. It really depends on your subject too.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by toniator23)
I know there not like actually prestigious like oxbridge but are they on the same level as birmingham or leeds
Ofc it is, I didn't actually know how well known it was till I went to an Ivy league for an internship and my professor was like "Ahh yes Sussex is a very good university we have great links with them".
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As the other poster stated, sussex is well known in certain fields (e.g. climate science/sustainability). How much their research expertise is relevant to an incoming undergrad I am unsure.
thatapanydude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, to be brutally honest it doesn't even compare to the likes of Leicester or Reading.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thatapanydude)
No, to be brutally honest it doesn't even compare to the likes of Leicester or Reading.
Lol you're mad.

Departments like Physics, Climate Science, History, Chemistry etc. are among the very best departments in research around the UK. I did engineering myself and most of the lecturers where fellows/taught at Cambridge & Imperial (some from Bristol and Southampton too). It's still quite a young university but give it another 10+ years Sussex will be a top 10 university easy.
toniator23
Rep:
?
Really, there my mid choice but I really like them and plan to do business management there, at the end of the i think uni reputation is quite subjective and as the other replies suggest i think sussex is definitely a good uni maybe not as good as Birmingham but not far off. And surely there equal to Leicester
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm at Sussex now and sometimes I really doubt if it is really as good as people say it is
thatapanydude
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
Lol you're mad.

Departments like Physics, Climate Science, History, Chemistry etc. are among the very best departments in research around the UK. I did engineering myself and most of the lecturers where fellows/taught at Cambridge & Imperial (some from Bristol and Southampton too). It's still quite a young university but give it another 10+ years Sussex will be a top 10 university easy.
Okay that was a bit over exaggerated but we are talking about prestige here not ranking levels. On an equal basis most employers would take a student from Birmingham or Leeds than from Sussex, that rightly or wrongly is a perception that people have and probably short term won't change.
toniator23
Rep:
?
(Original post by 408655)
I'm at Sussex now and I would much prefer to be somewhere else for the next three years. So yay me
Why what is it you dont like the main thing pushing me towards sussex is there student life and general atmosphere
thatapanydude
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really, there my mid choice but I really like them and plan to do business management there, at the end of the i think uni reputation is quite subjective and as the other replies suggest i think sussex is definitely a good uni maybe not as good as Birmingham but not far off. And surely there equal to Leicester
What are you're A-Level grades? The uni's you can apply for really depend on this. Look Sussex is alright, probably ranking with other mid range uni's but it certainly isn't in the same league as Birmingham or Leeds.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay that was a bit over exaggerated but we are talking about prestige here not ranking levels. On an equal basis most employers would take a student from Birmingham or Leeds than from Sussex, that rightly or wrongly is a perception that people have and probably short term won't change.
what are your credentials if i may ask?

I have a feeling you ain't even at uni yet... :lol:
username3079870
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What I would say is that university prestige is no where near as important as university marketing departments would have you believe. There are much more important things to consider for me: how good the actual course is, how engaged the lecturers are, how supportive the university is, the selection of modules etc... to say nothing of the other areas of university life people consider important.

There are a few studies that show that it generally doesn't matter what university you go to in the long term, you will likely end up as successful as you were going to be. As someone mentioned in another forum, just as an example, the head of Siemens UK graduated from Nottingham Trent. While I'm sure it's a fine uni, it would not be regarded as prestigious. Most employers won't care what university you went to.

The only way prestige may ever be a factor is in academic circles. If you plan to teach at a university, prestige may be important because the whole prestige thing is part of university marketing. e.g. "Our lecturer studied at Oxford...

It's often a pretty hollow gimmick in my experience. I've been to more "prestigious", RG universities and been to a non-RG university. The non-RG university was the best university I've ever attended.
ScotBank16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.
toniator23
Rep:
?
What are you're A-Level grades? The uni's you can apply for really depend on this. Look Sussex is alright, probably ranking with other mid range uni's but it certainly isn't in the same league as Birmingham or Leeds.
Im predicted AAB which i should (hopefully) get
toniator23
Rep:
?
(Original post by jestersnow)
What I would say is that university prestige is no where near as important as university marketing departments would have you believe. There are much more important things to consider for me: how good the actual course is, how engaged the lecturers are, how supportive the university is, the selection of modules etc... to say nothing of the other areas of university life people consider important.

There are a few studies that show that it generally doesn't matter what university you go to in the long term, you will likely end up as successful as you were going to be. As someone mentioned in another forum, just as an example, the head of Siemens UK graduated from Nottingham Trent. While I'm sure it's a fine uni, it would not be regarded as prestigious. Most employers won't care what university you went to.

The only way prestige may ever be a factor is in academic circles. If you plan to teach at a university, prestige may be important because the whole prestige thing is part of university marketing. e.g. "Our lecturer studied at Oxford...

It's often a pretty hollow gimmick in my experience. I've been to more "prestigious", RG universities and been to a non-RG university. The non-RG university was the best university I've ever attended.

Yh i know prestige isnt super important just wanted to know the general attitude to sussex as a uni. Which i think is pretty good, its not the best but it won't limit me in my future plans as long as i get a good degree from there if i decide to go
thatapanydude
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
what are your credentials if i may ask?

I have a feeling you ain't even at uni yet... :lol:
I study at Nottingham
thatapanydude
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im predicted AAB which i should (hopefully) get
Then you should be looking much higher that Sussex to be honest. I'm sure you could easily get into Leeds, Birmingham, Exeter with those grades!
username2281303
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Okay but I mean, the prestige of the Uni doesn't matter so much if a candidate trying to get employed has good work experience, has studied abroad...etc. Prestigious-ness of Uni is only one factor taken into account by employers, there are several others. I see what you're saying though, but students shouldn't rlly going to a Uni purely based on their prestigious status.
fairplaytoyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’d say it’s prestigious but more importantly it has great links with employers which is particularly important for me as a business Student. As someone’s already mentioned though, prestige really doesn’t matter although sussex is very reputable. Also it’s ranked 1st in the world for Development Studies which is impressive!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads