The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Do I drop out of my current univeristy and start the Open University?

I started uni to study Psychology in September and have found it hard since. Before coming here, I battled depression and suicide (wow this got deep quick soz) and I'm finding myself falling into the same patterns. I am not sure whether to drop out of the uni I'm at now and start the same course but with the Open University which is an online uni, meaning I can be at home. My main worry is that I will regret dropping out and won't be open to the same career prospects with an online degree? If I start the open uni will I be throwing my future away?
The Open University is just as valued as a degree from a brick university, so I wouldn't worry about this. What is different is that the Open University means you don't get the classic "university experience" - societies, living away from home, meeting course mates. Open University degrees means you have to discipline yourself to study, as you don't have the conventional classroom and lectures, depending on the course.

At the moment, I would take the time to take care of your mental health. After you have sought help, you can consider if you can make a go of it at your current university or if you will be better suited to Open University.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi theresacalcifer,

I'm sorry to hear that you have found it hard, however there is help at Aston!

I have been in the situation of balancing uni studies with external things, but the uni was fantastic at helping me get back on the right track.

Before you make any decisions, I recommend you speak to someone. You can contact any of the following:

- Your personal tutor (you can find their information on MAP. You can talk to them about anything you want, not just your course degree. Mine was wonderful and helped a lot)
- Counselling and Mental Wellbeing Service
- Advice & Representation Centre (ARC) (they are a service provided by the Student Union, external from Aston. They even give you a cup of tea)

If you have trouble, give us a DM and I'll help you as best as I can.

^Kam

Quick Reply

Latest