investment banking uni courses Watch

Taaj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have looked at many courses but was just wondering if there are any I might not have seen. I'm looking for course around AAA-A*A*A
My current main choices are
UCL. stats finance and econ A*AA
Nottingham maths with econ A*AB
Loughborough. financial maths A*AA
Southampton. MORSE AAA
Warwick. A*A*A*-without further maths but if I take it in my gap year A*AA. with a full or A*A*A with an AS level
My A levels are
Maths. A*
Chemistry. A
Business. A
is prefer courses around maths with economics and other joint courses
any suggestion would be appretiated
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are no degree subject requirements for IBanking. You could study underwater basket weaving, and as long as you did it at Oxbridge (NB this is not a degree offered by Oxbridge ) it would be acceptable. The "brand name" of your university is by far and away the most important thing - Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial probably being the main targets, along with the other major London unis (KCL, QMUL), Durham and the upper echelon of the Russell Group being the next best.

Now, if you wanted to go into quantitative finance specifically, then yes something "numerate" would be necessary - as would usually a masters or PhD. So pick something you like. This doesn't need to Mathematical Economics specifically though - Computer Science, Engineering, and Physics are all usually acceptable, and CS may well be more desirable than the alternatives since a lot of quant work is programming and developing software (of course good mathematical skills are required as you're programming to solve mathematical problems of various kinds).

But for "general" IBanking it's irrelevant what you study, on the whole.
Taaj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
my main choice doesn't offer a master's course is it possible to do 3years at I'm then switch to a master's in morse. is this even possible. do I have to stay at the same uni. and PhD wise what is available. do I pick one subject to do my doctorate or can I have a joint PhD ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Puffin Boffin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LSE is by far the best university in the world for getting into investment banking roles irrespective of course.

That said UCL is very good and so is Warwick.

Finance related degrees are most relevant followed by econ (provided you do finance courses in your econ degree)

https://news.efinancialcareers.com/u...morgan-stanley

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed