The Student Room Group

Not sure if this degree is for me...

Hello, I started university recently to study Computer Science.

Just some background:

For GCSE's I got 2 A*'s and 7 A's
For A levles I got AAA In Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I have never programmed prior to this degree (Just an A in maths was required for the degree) and am finding it challenging because the lectures race through the basics and expect you to understand them so quickly. The deadlines are crazy and I don't have time to learn programming and do the work.

Although the other topics (Maths , Computer systems etc...) are also difficult, I am coping with them as they are not too new to me.

I start to wonder if this education system is for me, I just keep getting to the next stage and always learn things which are not exactly interesting (like some of the maths at this level). I do enjoy coding though. I put a lot of thought about doing this degree and I am fairly sure its best degree for me compared to other ones I considered (but that doesn't mean I enjoy it).

Any tips?

Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hello, I started university recently to study Computer Science.

Just some background:

For GCSE's I got 2 A*'s and 7 A's
For A levles I got AAA In Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I have never programmed prior to this degree (Just an A in maths was required for the degree) and am finding it challenging because the lectures race through the basics and expect you to understand them so quickly. The deadlines are crazy and I don't have time to learn programming and do the work.

Although the other topics (Maths , Computer systems etc...) are also difficult, I am coping with them as they are not too new to me.

I start to wonder if this education system is for me, I just keep getting to the next stage and always learn things which are not exactly interesting (like some of the maths at this level). I do enjoy coding though. I put a lot of thought about doing this degree and I am fairly sure its best degree for me compared to other ones I considered (but that doesn't mean I enjoy it).

Any tips?

Thank you.

Go and discuss all this with your personal tutor, or educational advisory service that should be provided by your Student’s Union.

It may be that they can give you some extra support with the programming until you feel that you’re up to speed, or give you some things to focus on over the Christmas holiday so that when you come back you’ll feel more able to do your assignments.

The first year of university can be difficult because you’re adjusting to a new environment with new people and a different way of learning. The most exciting content isn’t always covered, particularly when they’re trying to give you grounding for the rest of the course.

If you have some close friends on your course it might also be worth having a chat with them. Either you’ll find that other people are in a very similar position to you, or they could help you with some of the things that you’re stuck on.

At the end of the day, you might find that a university course (or this university course in particular) is not for you, and there’s no shame in that. You might find a different route into a job that you’re interested in such as an apprenticeship (and some of these lead to degrees as well).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending