The Student Room Group

Anxiety picking A-Levels

I am having anxiety picking my A-Levels because I know that something as simple as writing a word will dictate me future. I have already decided I will follow the career of a Chartered Accountant, mainly because of the salary.

For my A-Levels I have chosen

Accounting
(For the career(*I should also note I am surrounded by accountants. Two of my friend have uncles in Accountancy and one of them presumably works for KPMG in the Netherlands and my dad holds a business in which he has an accountant but is not chartered.)

Psychology
(I am very passionate about this subject, but I do not want to follow as a career because of the many years of studying required before being qualified(* This was also a reason I did not follow medicine).)

Biology
(This is a backup in case I was to fail accounting.)

Economics
(I chose this because I did not know what else to pick for a fourth subject, and because business was regarded as a 'soft' subject.)

My questions are:
What do I do after completing my Accounting A Level?
What does 'AS-Level' and A2-Level' mean?
Are these a good pick of A-Levels?
Will any of these subjects make it harder to study others because of their workload?

Here are some personal details to help you:
I am currently in Year 11 and have just finished my mocks as of the 1 of December 2017. I will be taking my GCSE's in Between March-May 2018.

I am a under achiever, but I have been promised high grades. Most target/estimated grades are 5's and 6's with my French language being the lowest and English/Maths/Sciences being the highest.

I have made a moral decision to study more commonly, by reading my entire CGP books day/night and making small notes of equations or things that are for sure to come-up. (I also have a problem with chronic concentration and focus issues but I have brought that to the attention of parents and teachers and currently in the process of figuring out the cause of these issues).

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

In your case, AS and A2 no longer exist.

In the old system, AS was the name of the exams you do at the end of Y12 and your A2 is the exams you do at the end of Y13, your AS and A2 would combine to make your whole A Level grade.

Nowadays, AS and A2 have been 'decoupled' as in, some schools will still offer them, but AS will not contribute towards your final A Level grade at all, all A Levels are now taken at the end of the 2 years, as opposed to the end of Y12 and 13 respectively. You should consult with your school to see if your school still offers AS examinations, I know mine does.

Personally, I'd say no. But the key word here is personal, it is, after all, your choice. If it was my choice, I'd do Maths alongside it, or Maths, Further Maths and Economics and something else, but it's your decision, not my own.

Well the workload just depends on your aptitude and enjoyment for the subject, it'll be less noticeable if you really like your subject.
Original post by AryanGh

In the old system, AS was the name of the exams you do at the end of Y12 and your A2 is the exams you do at the end of Y13, your AS and A2 would combine to make your whole A Level grade.

Nowadays, AS and A2 have been 'decoupled' as in, some schools will still offer them, but AS will not contribute towards your final A Level grade at all, all A Levels are now taken at the end of the 2 years, as opposed to the end of Y12 and 13 respectively. You should consult with your school to see if your school still offers AS examinations, I know mine does.

Personally, I'd say no. But the key word here is personal, it is, after all, your choice. If it was my choice, I'd do Maths alongside it, or Maths, Further Maths and Economics and something else, but it's your decision, not my own.

Well the workload just depends on your aptitude and enjoyment for the subject, it'll be less noticeable if you really like your subject.

I very much agree with what Aryan has said here, Maths looks like it would really nicely accompany your accounting and economics based A-Levels. Though of course that's your choice.

A Level Biology is also very hard, I have many friends who struggle with it although they did well at GCSE. There's a lot of remembering key information involved, the same goes for Psychology really, a lot of key information to remember. Not sure I'd recommend taking both of those two but then that's coming from someone who really mentally strives doing maths rather than subjects where lots of key facts have to be remembered.

I wish you the best of luck! :woo:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AryanGh

Thank you for clearing up the AS and A2 levels confusion. I do not know whether to be happy with what has happened but I think the overall stress is lowered as I do not have to think much about exams at the start of Y12.

As for the subject choice. I hate Maths.
I
am fine with applying common sense with problems, but I cannot remember equations at all.
As for the workload conundrum. I love psychology whole heartedy.

I am constantly looking up new psychology breakthroughs or new studies and constantly lurking the Quora or Reddit psychology forums and have sought books on the topic. I am fine with biology and I think I'll do well with accounting as well. But I am foreseeing bad grades with Economics if it is as hard as I think it is.
Original post by CAMeso
I have already decided I will follow the career of a Chartered Accountant, mainly because of the salary.

Choosing a career based off the salary is a recipe for disaster.
Reply 5
Original post by Fonzworth
Choosing a career based off the salary is a recipe for disaster.

I know, I know. But I am reading up all these accounting studies and looking up 'Accounting A-Level Help' and I believe I will do well in the subject. The salary motivates me as I will delay gratification because in the end I will receive a good salary.
Reply 6
Original post by EmilySarah00
I very much agree with what Aryan has said here, Maths looks like it would really nicely accompany your accounting and economics based A-Levels. Though of course that's your choice.

A Level Biology is also very hard, I have many friends who struggle with it although they did well at GCSE. There's a lot of remembering key information involved, the same goes for Psychology really, a lot of key information to remember. Not sure I'd recommend taking both of those two but then that's coming from someone who really mentally strives doing maths rather than subjects where lots of key facts have to be remembered.

I wish you the best of luck! :woo:

Really? Oh Lord. Biology used to be my favourite but GCSE's really killed my passion :/. I know psychology has alot of things to member but I LOVE it. Also, I really, hate maths.
More than anything don't just pick to do something because of the pay, if you have no genuine interest in it! You will end up quitting before you get there and wasting your time.

I actually wanted to become an accountant for the same reason a few years ago but decided after actually trying it that it was bloody boring and I couldn't see myself doing it forever, which is when i changed to engineering.

But anyhow maths like other people have said is an awesome choice and taken alongside a science subject it opens up a lot of doors. And to put it bluntly, if you hate maths, why would you want to be an accountant?

Original post by CAMeso
I am having anxiety picking my A-Levels because I know that something as simple as writing a word will dictate me future. I have already decided I will follow the career of a Chartered Accountant, mainly because of the salary.

For my A-Levels I have chosen

Accounting
(For the career(*I should also note I am surrounded by accountants. Two of my friend have uncles in Accountancy and one of them presumably works for KPMG in the Netherlands and my dad holds a business in which he has an accountant but is not chartered.)

Psychology
(I am very passionate about this subject, but I do not want to follow as a career because of the many years of studying required before being qualified(* This was also a reason I did not follow medicine).)

Biology
(This is a backup in case I was to fail accounting.)

Economics
(I chose this because I did not know what else to pick for a fourth subject, and because business was regarded as a 'soft' subject.)

My questions are:
What do I do after completing my Accounting A Level?
What does 'AS-Level' and A2-Level' mean?
Are these a good pick of A-Levels?
Will any of these subjects make it harder to study others because of their workload?

Here are some personal details to help you:
I am currently in Year 11 and have just finished my mocks as of the 1 of December 2017. I will be taking my GCSE's in Between March-May 2018.

I am a under achiever, but I have been promised high grades. Most target/estimated grades are 5's and 6's with my French language being the lowest and English/Maths/Sciences being the highest.

I have made a moral decision to study more commonly, by reading my entire CGP books day/night and making small notes of equations or things that are for sure to come-up. (I also have a problem with chronic concentration and focus issues but I have brought that to the attention of parents and teachers and currently in the process of figuring out the cause of these issues).

Thank you in advance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Can I get a visual example on how boring Accountancy really is? I feel; people blow it way out of proportion. And when did you realise this because I am only in Year 11, I do not want to make a mistake.

Is engineering as good? Is the salary good? Is it fun/engaging?

Original post by Liamw1998
More than anything don't just pick to do somethint because of the pay, if you have no genuin interest in it! You will end up quitting before you get there and wasting your time.

I actually wanted to become an accountant for the same reaeon a few years ago but decided after actually trying it that it was bloody boring and I couldn't so end myself to live if ever doing it, which is when i changed to engineering.

But anyhow maths like other people have said is an awesome choice and taken alongside a science subject it opens up a lot of doors.
Reply 9
Original post by CAMeso
Thank you for clearing up the AS and A2 levels confusion. I do not know whether to be happy with what has happened but I think the overall stress is lowered as I do not have to think much about exams at the start of Y12.

As for the subject choice. I hate Maths.
I
am fine with applying common sense with problems, but I cannot remember equations at all.
As for the workload conundrum. I love psychology whole heartedy.

I am constantly looking up new psychology breakthroughs or new studies and constantly lurking the Quora or Reddit psychology forums and have sought books on the topic. I am fine with biology and I think I'll do well with accounting as well. But I am foreseeing bad grades with Economics if it is as hard as I think it is.

sounds like you’d be better off doing Pyschology at Uni, no?
Original post by CAMeso
Really? Oh Lord. Biology used to be my favourite but GCSE's really killed my passion :/. I know psychology has alot of things to member but I LOVE it. Also, I really, hate maths.

May I ask how come you have an interest in Accounting and Economics with a hatred for Maths, surely those things come at least slightly hand in hand?
If you have no passion for Biology anymore I really wouldn't take it. It would look good if you swapped biology for maths (and of course keep Psych if you love it) but then again I don't recommend taking a subject to A-Level you don't enjoy, a LOT of time goes in to every A-Level you take.
Reply 11
I see, but the long time of studying before being qualified and the fact that I do not really know where psychology leads too put me off.

Original post by soph2530
sounds like you’d be better off doing Pyschology at Uni, no?
- "Also, I really, hate maths"
- Wants to do Accounting

Great logic 10/10
Original post by CAMeso
I know, I know. But I am reading up all these accounting studies and looking up 'Accounting A-Level Help' and I believe I will do well in the subject. The salary motivates me as I will delay gratification because in the end I will receive a good salary.

I no longer have any interest for the thing that motivated me the most. Plans can change. I would pick a broader subject choice like Maths, Economics and maybe something like Physics or whatever else you enjoy?

I’m no expert in the accounting area, but I don’t think you need an Accounting A-Level to be an accountant, hell even an Accounting degree isn’t needed, I’ve heard of people becoming accountants from all sorts of degrees.

If you will truly enjoy the subject than go for it, but you may be limiting yourself by taking it as an A-Level, and possible shooting yourself in the foot if you decide to completely change your plans.
Reply 14
Accounting because of the salary, and I am wholly interested in businesses in general. Economics because I needed a fourth subject
I heard the maths is quite basic in both of them and you are given a calculator in Accounting. I have no passion Biology but I still have interest which is why I am taking it. And that little interest will be motivation. If I was to take Maths I believe I will crash hard in Y13.

"a LOT of time goes in to every A-Level you take "

This is exactly the reason I want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Original post by EmilySarah00
May I ask how come you have an interest in Accounting and Economics with a hatred for Maths, surely those things come at least slightly hand in hand?
If you have no passion for Biology anymore I really wouldn't take it. It would look good if you swapped biology for maths (and of course keep Psych if you love it) but then again I don't recommend taking a subject to A-Level you don't enjoy, a LOT of time goes in to every A-Level you take.
Reply 15
Original post by Fonzworth
I no longer have any interest for the thing that motivated me the most. Plans can change. I would pick a broader subject choice like Maths, Economics and maybe something like Physics or whatever else you enjoy?

I’m no expert in the accounting area, but I don’t think you need an Accounting A-Level to be an accountant, hell even an Accounting degree isn’t needed, I’ve heard of people becoming accountants from all sorts of degrees.

If you will truly enjoy the subject than go for it, but you may be limiting yourself by taking it as an A-Level, and possible shooting yourself in the foot if you decide to completely change your plans.

I know I will shoot myself in the foot if I change my plans that is why I chose psychology, biology and economics.
Reply 16
I hate maths, but I'm not bad at it. I am predicated a six. I am just taking caution because motivation is a big factor in whether I'll pass or not. Should I really take maths?
Original post by calsmith12
- "Also, I really, hate maths"
- Wants to do Accounting

Great logic 10/10
I can't really give you a visual example but from the work experience I did, It was super boring. Accountants work with financial records and paying taxes and stuff (if that's sounds fun for the rest of your life then by all means do it), the only way to really know is to try it.

And I realised it during year 12, at which point i left sixth form and went to college to do a level 3 extended diploma in Engineering instead.

And yes, in my opinion Engineering is great, it covers such a huge spectrum that it's hard to say how you will engage with each subject, but it definitely opens a lot of doors. I loved/love it and am now looking at doing Software Engineering (which has an average pay of over $100k in the US, and I enjoy). There are plenty of different types of engineering jobs and qualifications that you can choose from and all pay pretty well (you can look online), and generally require maths A level, alongside a science (depends what type of engineering u want to do) such as physics A level, or an extended level 3 BTEC engineering course. I am talking in terms of university and higher apprenticeships though. I am sure there are plenty of lower positions and entry level jobs you can do with different qualifications (although for a much lower pay).

Original post by CAMeso
Can I get a visual example on how boring Accountancy really is? I feel; people blow it way out of proportion. And when did you realise this because I am only in Year 11, I do not want to make a mistake.

Is engineering as good? Is the salary good? Is it fun/engaging?
Original post by CAMeso
I know I will shoot myself in the foot if I change my plans that is why I chose psychology, biology and economics.

But are you aware of the path that lies ahead of with those subjects? If you don’t like maths then retirement will be your only motivation when you get your first accounting job.
Original post by CAMeso
I see, but the long time of studying before being qualified and the fact that I do not really know where psychology leads too put me off.

Personally, I wouldn't force myself to study something I hate, especially since you hate maths so much (same), even if it does give good career prospects. Besides, there are plenty of well-paid careers that come from a degree in Psychology!

Quick Reply

Latest