Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My college keeps telling everyone that we have 47 lines of Microsoft Word, TNR size 12, for our personal statement. Looking at the guides and stuff on here and other webpages that seems to me about 200 words too much - what is going on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    My college keeps telling everyone that we have 47 lines of Microsoft Word, TNR size 12, for our personal statement. Looking at the guides and stuff on here and other webpages that seems to me about 200 words too much - what is going on?
    Yes it is 47 lines i believe, much less on the paper application though.l

ReputationRep:
    Are you using EAS? If so, you've got more space than someone using a paper form, which may account for the difference
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes this is the guideline (with 1.25 cm margins) for the online application (EAS). Don't work on word count!

ReputationRep:
    whats tnr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    whats tnr?
    TIMES NEW ROMAN..........mmmm....i think i deserve +ve rep for that

ReputationRep:
    hey............u should read the small print!!!!!!!

theres a 95 character limit on each sentence and no sentence should exceed this limit!!!

i think its alot harsher this year..............reason is my sister applied for her's electronically last year and was allowed a 53 line limit with NO character limit!!!!

i dunno..........maybe coz of the immense competition of this year they've made entry alot harder!!!...............just a thought!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamite)
    TIMES NEW ROMAN..........mmmm....i think i deserve +ve rep for that
    I was told it doesnt matter what type of font you use? there is only a size limit of 12?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You'd probably be best stick with TNR even if it isn't a requirement - I believe it is popular in newspapers, etc. because it can fit more text into a small space (i.e. it's quite compact).
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppy86)
    theres a 95 character limit on each sentence and no sentence should exceed this limit!!!
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this sounds silly but is it a 95 character word limit with or without spaces? *worries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Sorry if this sounds silly but is it a 95 character word limit with or without spaces? *worries*
    I just picked a random sentence in my PS and it has 309 characters!

ReputationRep:
    wtf? This is stupid. People can literally write more using EAS than paper reference? Are there character limits for paper application?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there would be for paper applications.

ReputationRep:
    I thought for some reason that someone had said it was 95 charcater limit for each line! I dont believe there would be a character limit for each sentance. That would be ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

ReputationRep:
    Nice one Wolf! Yep so its per line not sentance.

But 48 lines!?! What happened to 47? More twists and turns in my battle with personal statements.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Krim)
    A space is a character so I would be very surprised if the 95 characters was not including spaces.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    So whats the point in 1.25cm margins then? Are they included on electronic applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    Nice one Wolf! Yep so its per line not sentance.

But 48 lines!?! What happened to 47? More twists and turns in my battle with personal statements.

The PS is 47 lines with 95 characters per line. It's the reference that is 48 lines.

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.