The Student Room Group

Electrical Engineer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by artful_lounger
As per the final paragraph, it's less ideal. Apart from the fact that not too many universities use the UCAS points tariff (particularly, none of the upper ~third or so of such courses), as stated it is a challenging academic subject. You usually have very limited opportunity for choosing "optional" modules before your third year, and so you won't be able to choose the "easy" subject for a large chunk of your course - and they can be very challenging, depending on your background and inclinations.

While other subjects may not be directly relevant, taking a more academic subject for a full academic complement of A-level options is better preparation in terms of transferable "soft" skills. Exam preparation, revision techniques, study skills, writing skills, etc, etc - these are all developed better by such subjects, and necessary to do well in a degree. Thus, something like another science, or an unrelated academic subject such as e.g. Economics or similar (or even a non-academic but demanding subject like Fine Art, which requires a much larger commitment from the student than otherwise would be expected for a similar non-academic subject, in a pinch) is better preparation. Taking ICT as a fourth subject would be fine, or taking something like Computer Science which is considered more academically rigorous, would suffice.

Getting into university isn't the end goal. If you "coast" in it's entirely possible you'll find the pace and nature of university a much greater leap up from your A-level experiences - and this could well prevent you from achieving your end goals, by meaning you don't get a good classification in your degree work, or need to change course because you aren't able to cope with the demands of your desired course. Wwhile this varies between universities, even at my former uni, Exeter, which is fairly well considered, there were was not insignificant attrition between each year as people failed modules, had to retake modules/years, switched to other courses, or left the university - while this is not the only reason this happened, it does make up part of that.

Thank you for your replys!
Original post by DeclanGCSEs
I am looking to become and electrical engineer (in wales) and I am choosing my A levels, I have decided on Physics, Ict and business are these good?

Original post by usfbullz
I wouldn't say it is a "bad uni" but you would find the course hard without maths.
Unless one of your modules is maths based learning like "maths for electrical engineering" or something like that.

Pretty sure @uberteknik has a degree in Electrical Engineering so he may have some useful advice regarding this topic.

Thanks for quoting me in. :smile:

OP is the course Electrical Engineering only or is it Electrical and Electronic Engineering? Can I also ask which university you are aiming towards?

Electrical (and Electronic) Engineering are math's intensive from day one. You will study mathematics as a separate series of modules throughout the first two years of the degree.

Mathematics is all pervasive and everything you cover will require a very good grasp of mathematics: second order differentials, partial differentials, finite integrals, vectors, matrices, tensors, surface and volume integrals, trigonometry, complex numbers, Laplace and inverse Laplace transforms, power series, Binomials, probability and statistics, regression analysis.........and more.

Suffice to say that if you want to study engineering you will definitely need A-level mathematics and physics. Further maths is useful for a head start in the first year of the degree, but not absolutely necessary as this content will be covered during the degree. i.e. if you choose further maths, it will be revision, If not, it will be new learning.

A-levels, mandatory: Maths, Physics.
A-levels choices: Further Maths, English Literature, Geography, (Chemistry if you want to study Electronics especially semiconductor design). Economics is also reasonable as engineers must assess and balance cost, risk, project needs, manpower, materials, access to skills etc.

I've listed English Literature and Geography because they are great for analysis, structuring arguments and writing essays to communicate ideas succinctly. These are skills so very often lacked by engineers. I'm sure loads will jump on me for saying that.

Do look at prospective university entry requirements and tailor your choices accordingly. Apart from the mandatory A-levels, pick facilitating subjects which you will enjoy and which compliment the STEM subjects. Too much of the same subject matter becomes tedious very quickly.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Thanks for quoting me in. :smile:

OP is the course Electrical Engineering only or is it Electrical and Electronic Engineering? Can I also ask which university you are aiming towards?

Electrical (and Electronic) Engineering are math's intensive from day one. You will study mathematics as a separate series of modules throughout the first two years of the degree.

Mathematics is all pervasive and everything you cover will require a very good grasp of mathematics: second order differentials, partial differentials, finite integrals, vectors, matrices, tensors, surface and volume integrals, trigonometry, complex numbers, Laplace and inverse Laplace transforms, power series, Binomials, probability and statistics, regression analysis.........and more.

Suffice to say that if you want to study engineering you will definitely need A-level mathematics and physics. Further maths is useful for a head start in the first year of the degree, but not absolutely necessary as this content will be covered during the degree. i.e. if you choose further maths, it will be revision, If not, it will be new learning.

A-levels, mandatory: Maths, Physics.
A-levels choices: Further Maths, English Literature, Geography, (Chemistry if you want to study Electronics especially semiconductor design). Economics is also reasonable as engineers must assess and balance cost, risk, project needs, manpower, materials, access to skills etc.

I've listed English Literature and Geography because they are great for analysis, structuring arguments and writing essays to communicate ideas succinctly. These are skills so very often lacked by engineers. I'm sure loads will jump on me for saying that.

Do look at prospective university entry requirements and tailor your choices accordingly. Apart from the mandatory A-levels, pick facilitating subjects which you will enjoy and which compliment the STEM subjects. Too much of the same subject matter becomes tedious very quickly.

Good luck. :smile:

its in north wales glyndwr.ac.uk
If the university I would like to go to doesnt require maths a level is it a bad uni?

It's not one that TSR would typically approve of, but if it is accredited it should be fine.

By the way, I have checked the course out and it has two maths modules - which is probably the norm. Taking A-level maths will almost certainly assist with these modules.

Original post by Ray_Shadows
whatever , you need a-level maths for any engineering course , unless you go to an extremely *****y university

Actually, UCL civil engineering does not require A-level maths.
Actually, UCL civil engineering does not require A-level maths.

really , that's weird but what's the difference between civil and electrical engineering
Where can I see universitys that "TSR approves of?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
really , that's weird but what's the difference between civil and electrical engineering

I brought it up as a counter example to your post, that's all. They teach the required maths as part of the course, with, I think, extra sessions for those who enter without having taken it at A-level.

The actual difference between them is that they are different disciplines of the same field. Electrical and electronics refers to large and small scale electrical systems, respectively, such as power generation, transmission and distribution, to consumer electronics. Civil usually refers to infrastructure, such as buildings, bridges, roads, etc.

Where can I see universitys that "TSR approves of?

It's okay, it doesn't actually exist - what I was alluding to is that it might not be one that a lot of the typical TSR posters would want to attend, but that does not necessarily make it a bad university, especially if it is accredited. What matters more is that it is the right university for you and your circumstances.
(edited 6 years ago)
its in north wales glyndwr.ac.uk

I've looked at the specification for the course. Glyndwr offers an Electrical and Electronics honours degree. I believe the 4 year course (not the foundation course) leads to M.Eng. and it's this course which is accredited by the IET. As an end game, Chartered status is the thing to aim for, so you need to check with the IET that the B.Eng. is suitable to start you on that route.

The first year shares common modules with all of the Glyndwr engineering degrees and in that you will study:

Engineering Mathematics (I would expect this to be heavily based on the K.E. Stroud. Engineering Mathematics book.)

Mechanical Science
Electrical Science
Engineering Design Practice
Analogue and Digital Electronics
Engineering Systems and Sustainability

Year two follows:

Further Engineering Mathematics
Business Research and Professional Development
Instrumentation and Control
Programmable Logic Computing

then two option choices for year two (the modules are complimentary pairs), either:

Applied Analogue and Digital Electronics plus
Embedded Systems

Which commits the student to taking the Industrial Communications Module in year three.

Alternatively, the second option for year two is:

Electrical Machines plus
Electrical Power Engineering

Which commits the student to taking the Power Electronics and Electric Drives in year three.

i.e. the second year option choices are either small signal electronics or large system power machines and control.

The third year is biased towards a dissertation and follows three further core modules:

Engineering Modelling and Simulation
Electronic Design and Testing
Further Control Engineering

Plus the year two committed optional modules describe previously.

I'd suggest that the course is perfectly O.K. but be under no illusions about the intensity and workload, which will be very high.

If your really want to go down the engineering route, develop your hobby, make things, play with them, consolidate your school learning. I developed an interest in electronics through my love of music (rock band) and audiophile music systems, analogue AM/FM radios etc., and also radio controlled aircraft models etc.

This all fuelled a lifelong passion and now, apart from my work, I design and construct my own analogue and digital equipment just for the enjoyment of doing something extremely useful and using it with pride.

It's a great career. :smile:
Okay, thanks.
Original post by uberteknik
I've looked at the specification for the course. Glyndwr offers an Electrical and Electronics honours degree. I believe the 4 year course (not the foundation course) leads to M.Eng. and it's this course which is accredited by the IET. As an end game, Chartered status is the thing to aim for, so you need to check with the IET that the B.Eng. is suitable to start you on that route.

The first year shares common modules with all of the Glyndwr engineering degrees and in that you will study:

Engineering Mathematics (I would expect this to be heavily based on the K.E. Stroud. Engineering Mathematics book.)

Mechanical Science
Electrical Science
Engineering Design Practice
Analogue and Digital Electronics
Engineering Systems and Sustainability

Year two follows:

Further Engineering Mathematics
Business Research and Professional Development
Instrumentation and Control
Programmable Logic Computing

then two option choices for year two (the modules are complimentary pairs), either:

Applied Analogue and Digital Electronics plus
Embedded Systems

Which commits the student to taking the Industrial Communications Module in year three.

Alternatively, the second option for year two is:

Electrical Machines plus
Electrical Power Engineering

Which commits the student to taking the Power Electronics and Electric Drives in year three.

i.e. the second year option choices are either small signal electronics or large system power machines and control.

The third year is biased towards a dissertation and follows three further core modules:

Engineering Modelling and Simulation
Electronic Design and Testing
Further Control Engineering

Plus the year two committed optional modules describe previously.

I'd suggest that the course is perfectly O.K. but be under no illusions about the intensity and workload, which will be very high.

If your really want to go down the engineering route, develop your hobby, make things, play with them, consolidate your school learning. I developed an interest in electronics through my love of music (rock band) and audiophile music systems, analogue AM/FM radios etc., and also radio controlled aircraft models etc.

This all fuelled a lifelong passion and now, apart from my work, I design and construct my own analogue and digital equipment just for the enjoyment of doing something extremely useful and using it with pride.

It's a great career. :smile:

By me taking Physics and maths at A level will it open up more opportunities?
By me taking Physics and maths at A level will it open up more opportunities?

It will allow you to apply to a significantly larger amount of universities for your course.
Okay, if the requirements are a B at GCSE for A level maths, then it cannot be that tough right?
Okay, if the requirements are a B at GCSE for A level maths, then it cannot be that tough right?

What, the course?
yes the A level maths course

Quick Reply

Latest