The Student Room Group

Lincoln or Anglia Ruskin for BA illustration?

Hey, so after months of researching and attending open days I've narrowed down my uni choices to 6. Unfortunately these are the two unis I didn't manage to visit and I don't have the funds currently to go and see either. So instead I made up a pros and cons list of the two based on their modules, location etc, but I still can't decide, so I'm looking for other opinions on them.

I get a sense that ARU is more orientated towards traditional illustration (drawing etc) which is more my 'style', whereas Lincoln seems quite digital-based, but then again becoming more digitally 'able' let's say wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing?

Any thoughts? Has anyone been to/seen them and what did you think?
Thanks in advance!
The Illustration programme at ARU is closely linked to their Animation programme - as well as the joint course, they tend to have a fair number from one taking options from the other, to my understanding. I think they actually have a shared first year. Thus, there is still a fair amount of digital content in that.

There are options to cater to a variety of interests and styles - as I recall the illustration/animation students had a very broad array in their final degree show when I went to my sister's one. Some did stop motion, others did 3D, some did traditional animation and others did more unusual things (rotoscoping, stop motion style cutout/shadow animations) on the animation side, and on the illustration side there was a great variety - from western comic style, to manga style (by far the worst pieces in all cases, incidentally) and e.g. childrens book animation styles (with/without "dark edgy" twists, depending on the student).

I know one of the Illustration/Animation students got a job at Aardman Animation a few years after graduating, although she's now left that to do a PhD somewhere else. I got the impression the joint course was slightly more skewed to animation in some sense, perhaps just because it's inherently more time consuming so students ended up overestimating and spending more time on those aspects of the course. But the main point is, I don't think I'd suggest it's particularly "traditionally" oriented - it just has that as one of several options available. There are a great number of art/design based courses at ARU, and they tend to intermingle a great deal, so there's quite a strong sense of an "arts" community there.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
The Illustration programme at ARU is closely linked to their Animation programme - as well as the joint course, they tend to have a fair number from one taking options from the other, to my understanding. I think they actually have a shared first year. Thus, there is still a fair amount of digital content in that.

There are options to cater to a variety of interests and styles - as I recall the illustration/animation students had a very broad array in their final degree show when I went to my sister's one. Some did stop motion, others did 3D, some did traditional animation and others did more unusual things (rotoscoping, stop motion style cutout/shadow animations) on the animation side, and on the illustration side there was a great variety - from western comic style, to manga style (by far the worst pieces in all cases, incidentally) and e.g. childrens book animation styles (with/without "dark edgy" twists, depending on the student).

I know one of the Illustration/Animation students got a job at Aardman Animation a few years after graduating, although she's now left that to do a PhD somewhere else. I got the impression the joint course was slightly more skewed to animation in some sense, perhaps just because it's inherently more time consuming so students ended up overestimating and spending more time on those aspects of the course. But the main point is, I don't think I'd suggest it's particularly "traditionally" oriented - it just has that as one of several options available. There are a great number of art/design based courses at ARU, and they tend to intermingle a great deal, so there's quite a strong sense of an "arts" community there.

Ahhh I see, I didn't get that impression at first, but considering their Illustration & Animation joint course it does make a great deal of sense. This just makes my decision all the more difficult. Thank you so much for the information though, it's very helpful.
Original post by Sbbh
Ahhh I see, I didn't get that impression at first, but considering their Illustration & Animation joint course it does make a great deal of sense. This just makes my decision all the more difficult. Thank you so much for the information though, it's very helpful.

it may be worth bearing in mind my knowledge may also be slightly skewed to the animation side, as the two people I personally know who went there did the joint course ^^

I would also plug ARU for it just being in Cambridge, which is by far the best city to live in :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
it may be worth bearing in mind my knowledge may also be slightly skewed to the animation side, as the two people I personally know who went there did the joint course ^^

I would also plug ARU for it just being in Cambridge, which is by far the best city to live in :wink:

Haha alright I'll bear that in mind!

Yes! Cambridge looks like such a nice area albeit probably a bit pricey, but I live in London so it can't be any worse :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest