The Student Room Group

How do you write a CV?

Hi guys, so I want a part-time job after Christmas to get me through college but I don't know how to write a CV. I don't know what you need to include. Could someone help me please?
Don't be exhaustive. Bullet-point the aspects of yourself which the company want to pay you for, and keep it to one page.
Reply 2
Thank you
Google for example CV's, you'll want a basic one that covers education and previous experience
Reply 4
Don't say anything negative about yourself
Don't use more than one type of font
Don't include your photo of yourself
Don't lie about yourself

Make sure your CV is no longer than 2 pages
Make sure it looks neat and follows a structure
Make sure to highlight your relevant skills and achievments that would impress an employer
Make sure to include any work experience/voluntary work/hobbies and interests
Reply 5
Original post by T0mas
Don't say anything negative about yourself
Don't use more than one type of font
Don't include your photo of yourself
Don't lie about yourself

Make sure your CV is no longer than 2 pages
Make sure it looks neat and follows a structure
Make sure to highlight your relevant skills and achievments that would impress an employer
Make sure to include any work experience/voluntary work/hobbies and interests

Okay thank you that is really helpful!!
Original post by Hannah9222
Hi guys, so I want a part-time job after Christmas to get me through college but I don't know how to write a CV. I don't know what you need to include. Could someone help me please?

Use the TSR CV Help forum? :smile:
You need to convince your employer to shortlist you and for that, it is important for you to know how to write a cover letter. A well crafted cover letter will exhibit your skills and expertise. Let us see few career guidance tips on writing an impressive cover letterCover letter writing:You need to research and personalize your cover letter. If you have given an excellent cover letter then you will surely get a good job. On the contrary, even if you are a knowledgeable candidate if you don’t have a good cover letter then you might not be shortlisted. This career guidance tip is very much important for you to note.Define cover letter:Currently, the resume is submitted electronically via email along with the resume to the hiring manager. This is a brief description of what your resume will contain and the hiring manager will decide whether to check your resume and call you or just discard it depending on the quality of the cover letter. If your cover letter is not up to the mark then your application will be ignored. That is why it is very important to invest quality time in writing your cover letter...read more
Here following things you should include in CV :
Personal information: It is quite essential to include the full name, email address, contact number and address on CV. Also, ensure that they are mentioned on top of the CV.
A statement about yourself: This gives you a scope to tell about yourself and get the attention of the reader. Use this to show your achievements and share your career aspirations too. The trick is that you need to customize the statement to the job description or role.
Work Experience: While writing about the work history, include experiences relevant to the job at hand. Your CV must show you as the best candidate of the lot. If you have less or no experience, think about skills that might help you in the role.
Education: Mention earlier education and educational institutions with a year of attendance and also write about achievements or grades.
Skills & Qualifications: Write about qualifications from either work experience or education which are related to the role.
Interests & Hobbies: Though not necessary, but if you are a fresher and you have less to mention about the experience, you need to write about your hobby and interests too.
References: It is suggested not to include name and contact of references on CV. Always ask permission from a referee before passing on the details to an employer.
Reply 9
A good CV is the first step towards a job interview. So it’s essential to have the best-written resume that speaks to you. The key to good CV is to offer a good, professional description of your experience, academics, and skills. This will definitely give an upper hand over several other resumes. To know more keep reading on how to write a CV.To create a better CV you need to follow a step by step career advice to start it well. Here is what basically a standard CV must have:Personal information: It is quite essential to include the full name, email address, contact number and address on CV. Also, ensure that they are mentioned on top of the CV.A statement about yourself: This gives you a scope to tell about yourself and get the attention of the reader. Use this to show your achievements and share your career aspirations too. The trick is that you need to customize the statement to the job description or role.Work Experience: While writing about the work history, include experiences relevant to the job at hand. Your CV must show you as the best candidate of the lot. If you have less or no experience, think about skills that might help you in the role.Education: Mention earlier education and educational institutions with a year of attendance and also write about achievements or grades.Skills

Quick Reply