The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jojowestlondon
Noticed they said a preinterview score is determined for each candidate, does that mean somebody answered 16 questions correctly might not be shortlisted for interview while others could? Anybody knows how this score is determined?

The pre interview score is based on the entrance test and predicted GCSE grades.
Original post by mathsinsider
Just popped in to say that some candidates might sit the exam in January on the same day as the interviews if they were sick or unable to attend on the official exam day.

Our son is now at KCLMS - he's a strong maths student but didn't find the sample specimen or the actual KCLMS entrance exam easy. He did enjoy the interview though. For the interview they teach you a new piece of maths and then ask you to answer some questions. A bit like an Oxbridge interview but using GCSE knowledge.

It really is a very good school - our daughter also attended. Happy to answer any questions about the school.

when do we get informed if we have an inteview? and roughlywhat % do they want from us? (in the test)
(edited 6 years ago)
The pre interview score is based on the entrance test and predicted GCSE grades.

Thanks, I am a bit worried as my school predicted me making backwards progress on maths when I joined the school and would never change this score.
When do we hear if we've got an interview? I think I've answered 18 correctly and I've also got other Maths achievements under my belt. Would this reduce my chance of getting in as I've heard they take in students who "don't have their potential shown"?
Where are the buildings located? Part of the universities' campus?

Isn't it kind of strange to be around just mathematics/physics students?
They know that I'm a potential king's scholar for Eton
however I never applied to do further maths at eton

But they don't know your predicted grades before inviting you to interview. They only know this once you're selected for interview as that's when they request reports. So predicted grades can't be a factor in being selected to interview.
Original post by DibbleDenis
But they don't know your predicted grades before inviting you to interview. They only know this once you're selected for interview as that's when they request reports. So predicted grades can't be a factor in being selected to interview.

Ah! I’m confusing it with other schools my kids applied to. So yes - the pre interview score is based on the entrance test only.
Original post by Appleorpear
Where are the buildings located? Part of the universities' campus?

Isn't it kind of strange to be around just mathematics/physics students?

The school location is on Google Maps. It’s perhaps a 20 min walk from Kings Uni. It’s opposite the Imperial War Museum.
I don't think I answered all 19 correctly. I think I must have answered 12 correctly
But we'll see
Check your emails. I got in.
I failed
I got an interview!:u:
I HAVE AN lNTERVIEWWWWWWW
Reply 34
I got an interview!
I was wondering, is the school competitive and do they push and prepare students for oxbridge?
Congratulations to all those who got interviews!

Last year 23% of their Y13s went to Oxbridge.

Problem solving classes with a PhD student/prof start in Year 12, along with maths projects and maths competition practice sessions. By Year 13 everyone is doing STEP and STEP style practice regardless of whether or not they are applying to Oxbridge.

The school are quite strict about predicted grades. They won’t over predict. There are 5 sets of internal exams spread throughout Year 12. If you want to be predicted Oxbridge grades, you’ll need to be achieving well in the internal exams by the end of Year 12.
Do they participate in the UKMT challenges and Maths Olympiad?
Original post by thekidwhogames
Do they participate in the UKMT challenges and Maths Olympiad?

I went to a taster day and they said they do. I think everyone does the SMC and people can choose if they want to do the other ones
Original post by Toastiekid
I went to a taster day and they said they do. I think everyone does the SMC and people can choose if they want to do the other ones

Ah that's cool. Did you take the SMC too this year?
Original post by thekidwhogames
Ah that's cool. Did you take the SMC too this year?

no:biggrin:
My school give us the opportunity to do the imc this year but we’re not offered the chance to do the smc.

Latest