How much hours of revision should I be doing?

Watch
xhyper22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
1) For the mocks in 4 weeks?

2) For the real thing after mocks?
xhyper22
Rep:
?
Btw looking for the top grades in each subject.
uka_qwer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what subjects and r u doing a level
Liamw1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) for the mocks: as much or little as you want, your mock isn't go going to get a grade it's just to evaluate your progress and getting you used to test conditions

2) for the real thing: as much or as little as you need to, there is no right answer, it depends how natural you are in the subject. For my exams I only revised for science core and science additional, never did any homework and always messed about, and I got 4 As (A in both maths, A in science core and additional) and then 6 Bs. And by revision I mean I spent about 3 or 4 nights before the exam doing questions in the revision guides. most important hint is to not stress yourself out in the exam and just answer as best you can (and have a guess if you don't know at the end). Being calm and working through the paper with a clear head will be equally a short beneficial a way any revision.

(Original post by xhyper22)
Btw looking for the top grades in each subject.
xhyper22
Rep:
?
I'm doing GCSEs and taking english lit,lang, maths,further maths,history,RSS,product design,french,triple science. I am predicted 9-7 for them(yr 10 EofY). I want to bump them up to 9-8 in these mocks then get full 9s in the real thing. How many hours do I need a day to achieve this target? Talking about both btw mocks and real.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also in year 11, so I've most likely tanked my mocks but I would say try to do the subjects you struggle most with most-so I'd say maybe 2 hours a week revision and then work down to maybe 30 minutes for revising some quotes on Christianity (for example) for RS.

I did my GCSEs a year early and got ABBBCC after being out of school, so I went from a low 3 in maths to a 5 in the space of a month. My thought for the actual thing is to do really hard specimen papers, they also release PiXL predicted papers which aren't accurate but are very hard-which gear you for how they (the exam board) ask questions. In English, my personal favourite, learn how the author asks the question. I like to think I'm a mini expert when it comes to English Language, I got 5s throughout the year and was a 1 mark off a 6 in paper 1 and 1 mark off a 7 in paper 2 and overall got a 6. I got an 8b in my mock last term I think, but I'm thinking I may have gotten a 6-7, but I suggest learning what the examiners want, are you doing AQA?
xhyper22
Rep:
?
haha good one that's 300 hours more revision i have to do
xhyper22
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
I'm also in year 11, so I've most likely tanked my mocks but I would say try to do the subjects you struggle most with most-so I'd say maybe 2 hours a week revision and then work down to maybe 30 minutes for revising some quotes on Christianity (for example) for RS.

I did my GCSEs a year early and got ABBBCC after being out of school, so I went from a low 3 in maths to a 5 in the space of a month. My thought for the actual thing is to do really hard specimen papers, they also release PiXL predicted papers which aren't accurate but are very hard-which gear you for how they (the exam board) ask questions. In English, my personal favourite, learn how the author asks the question. I like to think I'm a mini expert when it comes to English Language, I got 5s throughout the year and was a 1 mark off a 6 in paper 1 and 1 mark off a 7 in paper 2 and overall got a 6. I got an 8b in my mock last term I think, but I'm thinking I may have gotten a 6-7, but I suggest learning what the examiners want, are you doing AQA?
Edexcel for English.
Is PiXL for most subjects?
Also just out of curiosity, what are u doing in yr 11 now that u've done ur GCSEs and A levels start in yr 12?
alexc00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
^ Errors like the one mentioned above, as well as "alot" instead of "a lot", "would/could/should of" instead of "would have" etc. In any exam paper where SPAG is marked (I'm assuming that they still do SPAG in the new exams) you'll get marked down on these things, and sometimes this is the difference between you getting a D or a C (or a 3 and a 4). Some of the spelling, punctuation and grammar rules might seem obvious to you, but in the exam room it's not uncommon for people to make simple mistakes - in my English Literature Section B writing task I forgot to paragraph my piece of work... luckily I proof read and corrected the piece as if I hadn't I would've dropped from an A* to a E/D.

As for how many hours of revision you should do, I'd say it depends what you revise, how easy it is for you to concentrate, and your approach to revision. I struggled to concentrate on any given subject for more than half an hour, so instead of sitting through 2 hours of Biology(I hated Biology with a passion) followed by 2 hours of French (French was my favourite GCSE subject), which was the "do a subject you dislike followed by a subject you enjoy" approach a lot of my classmates took, I'd do 10-15 minutes of one subject followed by 10-15 of the next. This way I was still doing the same amount of revision, I just wasn't getting bored and switching off halfway through.

You might find this page helpful as well: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...-star-students
xhyper22
Rep:
?
Thank you for all of this! But is doing an hour per subject per week really that excessive? Don't you mean an hour per subject per day?
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Edexcel for English.
Is PiXL for most subjects?
Also just out of curiosity, what are u doing in yr 11 now that u've done ur GCSEs and A levels start in yr 12?
PiXL I believe is for Maths, English and maybe Science-but it's more the functional aspect of English and I only like their predicted paper-their app is a bit rubbish in all honesty. Oh, I'm redoing some of my GCSEs and taking some more, I didn't do as well as I wanted. I also need 7 7s for some of the sixth forms so I am trying to move up from around all Bs maybe even some Cs to all 7s/8s...
TheSpicyTriangle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for all of this! But is doing an hour per subject per week really that excessive? Don't you mean an hour per subject per day?
Depends. If you’re doing 12 subjects, then 12 hours daily of revision would be excessive. If you’re doing 5 subjects, then not so much. But at the same time, remember you also do 30+ hours a week of school so any revision is on top of that. A friend of mine had a flair for languages and did 4 language GCSEs on top of 10 others along with 40 hours of school/tutoring a week. If they revised for an hour per subject per week, they may as well have done a full time job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.9%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (16)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
18.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (11)
10.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
17.65%

Watched Threads