How difficult is it to get into Leiden University?

Watch
Prabay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've been looking around at Dutch universities and I am confused as to why they don't seem to specify grades at A-level that they expect. I am considering doing international relations and organisations which seems to be the Dutch equivalent of PPE. The list of equivalent grades to what they want can be found here

So a few questions -

1. Does the lack of a high minimum grade suggest that Leiden University will consider every applicant over the minimum

2. Am I right in saying that International Relations and Organisations seems to be a Dutch equivalent of PPE?

3. I will have Irish citizenship soon (6 months at the latest), will this interfere in any way with me going to a university in the Netherlands and will I have to pay non-eu tuition fees?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Prabay)
So I've been looking around at Dutch universities and I am confused as to why they don't seem to specify grades at A-level that they expect. I am considering doing international relations and organisations which seems to be the Dutch equivalent of PPE. The list of equivalent grades to what they want can be found here

So a few questions -

1. Does the lack of a high minimum grade suggest that Leiden University will consider every applicant over the minimum

2. Am I right in saying that International Relations and Organisations seems to be a Dutch equivalent of PPE?

3. I will have Irish citizenship soon (6 months at the latest), will this interfere in any way with me going to a university in the Netherlands and will I have to pay non-eu tuition fees?
Most Dutch unis will accept anyone with a school leaving certificate (in your case, A levels) but lots of people are forced to drop out over the course of the first year as they can't keep up with the academic standard.
Prabay
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Most Dutch unis will accept anyone with a school leaving certificate (in your case, A levels) but lots of people are forced to drop out over the course of the first year as they can't keep up with the academic standard.
Is it fair to assume that that does not apply to the University of Amsterdam or VU Amsterdam? I could try and aim for PPEL at UVA or PPE at VU Amsterdam
Akanai
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it fair to assume that that does not apply to the University of Amsterdam or VU Amsterdam? I could try and aim for PPEL at UVA or PPE at VU Amsterdam
It is not only certain programs don't work in the way LeapingLucy described. If it is selective (most degrees aren't) it will say in the requirements.

I had a quick look and for the ones you have mentioned:

PPE at VU claims to be selective, so they will look at your grades.
PPLE at UvA says it is selective "if there are a lot of applicants", but their stated minimum is a 6 which is a low pass, about equivalent to a C. This means it is in the category that LeapingLucy mentioned, although they are anticipating that there might be high enough demand to become "selective".

If you are interested in PPE I would also recommend looking at some other Dutch universities and their associated university colleges, which offer broader degrees but are selective.
abhinair3004
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

So a few questions -

Leiden is definitely the strongest uni in Netherlands. If you get in, it'll be extremely competitive , so buck up for it. As far as the EU Fees go, I suppose you're supposed to hold EU Citizenship for a minimum period of 3 years prior to the course , only then will you be considered for the EU rate. However, I can be wrong about it. E-Mailing Leiden's team would be more helpful
Akanai
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abhinair3004)
Leiden is definitely the strongest uni in Netherlands. If you get in, it'll be extremely competitive , so buck up for it. As far as the EU Fees go, I suppose you're supposed to hold EU Citizenship for a minimum period of 3 years prior to the course , only then will you be considered for the EU rate. However, I can be wrong about it. E-Mailing Leiden's team would be more helpful
I'm just wondering what makes you say Leiden is the strongest uni in the Netherlands? I'm Dutch and I have only heard universities compared in this way in friendly rivalries between students of different universities. As a value judgement most universities are generally considered equally good, although with different focus areas.

@Prabay:

Whether you pay EU fees is determined by the government more information (in Dutch) can be found through DUO. Note that a university is allowed to set prices individually so in your case I would contact them and explain your situation.

This is what DUO says: You pay Dutch/EU fees if you are registered for an applicable degree and have citizenship of an EU country, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Suriname and do not have a prior degree of the same level, i.e. bachelors. It also states that if you lose EU citizenship throughout the year your degree granting institution is allowed, but not required, to ask for the international fee for that year.
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I was looking at Leiden from the perspective of a Law student and all I heard of from all the sources are Leiden, Leiden , Leiden. Some people who've studied at Leiden and other Dutch Unis told me that it's one of the most prestigious Unis in Netherlands
Prabay
Rep:
?
Yeah, may have to do that. I'm just not entirely sure on how it would work because surely if I hold British EU citizenship and then Irish EU citizenship - I have held EU citizenship for my entire life?
C.Kadiddlehopper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Leiden is definitely the strongest uni in Netherlands.
I think you would have a hard time backing up that judgement based on rankings or general word of mouth among the Dutch academic community. Leiden may be the most socially prestigious uni in Holland (the royals,including the present King,favor it) and it is the oldest of the four "classical" Dutch universities, but it does not appear to stand out in a nation where all the research institutions are roughly comparable and of good quality. Personally, I have always been partial to old Leiden,as the great Peter Cushing in the Hammer "Dracula" films was frequently introduced as "Professor Van Helsing of Leiden University"...at which point the Transylvanian innkeeper would bow obsequiously. You had to be there...
C.Kadiddlehopper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No,I should think the new PPE program at Utrecht is the Dutch equivalent of PPE.
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, may have to do that. I'm just not entirely sure on how it would work because surely if I hold British EU citizenship and then Irish EU citizenship - I have held EU citizenship for my entire life?
I honestly have no idea if I'll be able to answer that to your satisfaction. You should talk to Leiden reps or some people who can help you out with your Visa
Akanai
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The three year prior to studying rule is for student loans, not for the fees. If you hold EU citizenship for an entire academic year you pay EU fees for that year by law.

Well, I was looking at Leiden from the perspective of a Law student and all I heard of from all the sources are Leiden, Leiden , Leiden. Some people who've studied at Leiden and other Dutch Unis told me that it's one of the most prestigious Unis in Netherlands
Leiden is especially strong in international law (the Hague being part of their community), so that is probably why it came up so much it is true that it is one of the most prestigious unis in the Netherlands.
kathasora
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was considering studying law at Leiden as well and I thought they had courses in English, but the very limited information on their website implied they are taught in Dutch. Do you know if they have English taught law courses and are you planning on applying to Leiden?
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kathasora)
I was considering studying law at Leiden as well and I thought they had courses in English, but the very limited information on their website implied they are taught in Dutch. Do you know if they have English taught law courses and are you planning on applying to Leiden?
Well, Netherlands is an English language dominated country. So , don't worry . Your course will be in English unless specified otherwise. I , myself , am still in confusion if I should apply to Leiden
kathasora
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, Netherlands is an English language dominated country. So , don't worry . Your course will be in English unless specified otherwise. I , myself , am still in confusion if I should apply to Leiden
Yeah I know I actually go to school in the Netherlands now, but Leidens website is pretty confusing. Thank you and good luck with figuring out where you want to go and with applications.
abhinair3004
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kathasora)
Yeah I know I actually go to school in the Netherlands now, but Leidens website is pretty confusing. Thank you and good luck with figuring out where you want to go and with applications.
Thanks , hope you figure it out as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
61.02%
No (77)
20.7%
Not sure (68)
18.28%

Watched Threads