The Student Room Group

Do you HAVE to have latin or greek A level? classics

I was reading the requirements for Classics at Cambridge, I'm a little confused as to whether you HAVE to have either greek of latin at a level or whether you can do it intensively as part of the course. Would not having an a level in either be a detriment? I have a latin GCSE but obviously thats not the equivalent, do i need it at A level? Im currently doing Classics, History (modern) & Law at A level. Any clarification would be much appreciated!
Original post by AletheaW
I was reading the requirements for Classics at Cambridge, I'm a little confused as to whether you HAVE to have either greek of latin at a level or whether you can do it intensively as part of the course. Would not having an a level in either be a detriment? I have a latin GCSE but obviously thats not the equivalent, do i need it at A level? Im currently doing Classics, History (modern) & Law at A level. Any clarification would be much appreciated!

If you haven’t done Greek or Latin at A-level but want to study classics at Cambridge, you choose their 4-year course option because it includes learning them from scratch.
https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/prospective/undergraduate/4-year
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
If you haven’t done Greek or Latin at A-level but want to study classics at Cambridge, you need to choose their 4-year course option because it includes learning them from scratch.
https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/prospective/undergraduate/4-year

Thankyou, will this put me at a disadvantage when applying as I lack the required skills?
Thankyou, will this put me at a disadvantage when applying as I lack the required skills?

As long as you apply for 4-year course, no, it won’t be in your disadvantage as you won’t be in a competition against who have done A-level/IB Latin (and/or Greek).
4-year option is set up precisely for applicants like you. So no need to worry.
One person I know who’ve done that is now doing PhD after performing brilliantly at undergraduate and MPhil levels, firmly on the course for becoming an academic, so I think it’s a proof they help you build a good foundation even if you haven’t done Latin/Greek at school.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
As long as you apply for 4-year course, no, it won’t be in your disadvantage as you won’t be in a competition against who have done A-level/IB Latin (and/or Greek).
4-year option is set up precisely for applicants like you. So no need to worry.
One person I know who’ve done that is now doing PhD after performing brilliantly at undergraduate and MPhil levels, firmly on the course for becoming an academic, so I think it’s a proof they help you build a good foundation even if you haven’t done Latin/Greek at school.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it

If you had the option to do Latin A level, but chose not to, your chances aren't great.

The course for beginners is more for state school students who never had the chance to learn Latin or Greek before.
Reply 6
Original post by LeapingLucy
If you had the option to do Latin A level, but chose not to, your chances aren't great.

The course for beginners is more for state school students who never had the chance to learn Latin or Greek before.

Sadly they stopped offering A level at my college, though i was one of only 12 people that signed up to do Latin at secondary school-we were the last class to do it because no one in the years below registered an interest in it :frown:
Sadly they stopped offering A level at my college, though i was one of only 12 people that signed up to do Latin at secondary school-we were the last class to do it because no one in the years below registered an interest in it :frown:

That's fine then - as long as you make sure your school explain on your reference/you make clear on your PS that you would have loved to do it but didn't have the opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest