Do you HAVE to have latin or greek A level? classics Watch

AletheaW
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was reading the requirements for Classics at Cambridge, I'm a little confused as to whether you HAVE to have either greek of latin at a level or whether you can do it intensively as part of the course. Would not having an a level in either be a detriment? I have a latin GCSE but obviously thats not the equivalent, do i need it at A level? Im currently doing Classics, History (modern) & Law at A level. Any clarification would be much appreciated!
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AletheaW)
I was reading the requirements for Classics at Cambridge, I'm a little confused as to whether you HAVE to have either greek of latin at a level or whether you can do it intensively as part of the course. Would not having an a level in either be a detriment? I have a latin GCSE but obviously thats not the equivalent, do i need it at A level? Im currently doing Classics, History (modern) & Law at A level. Any clarification would be much appreciated!
If you haven’t done Greek or Latin at A-level but want to study classics at Cambridge, you choose their 4-year course option because it includes learning them from scratch.
https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/prosp...raduate/4-year
AletheaW
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
If you haven’t done Greek or Latin at A-level but want to study classics at Cambridge, you need to choose their 4-year course option because it includes learning them from scratch.
https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/prosp...raduate/4-year
Thankyou, will this put me at a disadvantage when applying as I lack the required skills?
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou, will this put me at a disadvantage when applying as I lack the required skills?
As long as you apply for 4-year course, no, it won’t be in your disadvantage as you won’t be in a competition against who have done A-level/IB Latin (and/or Greek).
4-year option is set up precisely for applicants like you. So no need to worry.
One person I know who’ve done that is now doing PhD after performing brilliantly at undergraduate and MPhil levels, firmly on the course for becoming an academic, so I think it’s a proof they help you build a good foundation even if you haven’t done Latin/Greek at school.
AletheaW
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
As long as you apply for 4-year course, no, it won’t be in your disadvantage as you won’t be in a competition against who have done A-level/IB Latin (and/or Greek).
4-year option is set up precisely for applicants like you. So no need to worry.
One person I know who’ve done that is now doing PhD after performing brilliantly at undergraduate and MPhil levels, firmly on the course for becoming an academic, so I think it’s a proof they help you build a good foundation even if you haven’t done Latin/Greek at school.
Thanks for your help, appreciate it
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you had the option to do Latin A level, but chose not to, your chances aren't great.

The course for beginners is more for state school students who never had the chance to learn Latin or Greek before.
AletheaW
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
If you had the option to do Latin A level, but chose not to, your chances aren't great.

The course for beginners is more for state school students who never had the chance to learn Latin or Greek before.
Sadly they stopped offering A level at my college, though i was one of only 12 people that signed up to do Latin at secondary school-we were the last class to do it because no one in the years below registered an interest in it
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sadly they stopped offering A level at my college, though i was one of only 12 people that signed up to do Latin at secondary school-we were the last class to do it because no one in the years below registered an interest in it
That's fine then - as long as you make sure your school explain on your reference/you make clear on your PS that you would have loved to do it but didn't have the opportunity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
11.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.28%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (36)
23.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.57%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.6%
How can I be the best version of myself? (48)
31.79%

Watched Threads