The Student Room Group

Mature student interested in vet medicine

Hello

I am 21 years old and considering pursing vet medicine. I adore animal especially rodents. My only option for university would be uni of bristol but I dont think i would stand a chance with my low grade GCSEs. (ive been out of education since 2013 and have been sick since but now im on the road to recovery)

My GCSEs
Design and technology - B
Science Core- C
Mathematics - C
English Language- D (im retaking the exam next year)
English Literature- C
RS - D
Art and Design- B
Textiles - C
Health and social care - C
ICT - Merit

Whats my best way foward please. i have applied for btec level 3 in animal management as i know i could possibly get into gateway at bristol with that.

how much work experience do i need when applying to uni?
any other advice would be appreciated .

Thank You

Sofie
Reply 1
I failed one of my gcse's but I got an equivalent level 2 qualification with a level 3 btec. I didn't think I'd get into uni but I did by using clearing so I'd say go for the btec and consider other uni's that offer the course you want to study, have a look at the requirements and don't worry, you'll get into uni. Most uni's accept btec. You don't need work experience to get into university, you may need it to pass your btec but it depends on the college
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by s817
I failed one of my gcse's but I got an equivalent level 2 qualification with a level 3 btec. I didn't think I'd get into uni but I did by using clearing so I'd say go for the btec and consider other uni's that offer the course you want to study, have a look at the requirements and don't worry, you'll get into uni. Most uni's accept btec. You don't need work experience to get into university, you may need it to pass your btec but it depends on the college

I want to apply for veterinary science . bristol is the only local university and i cant move any as live in council. plus i doubt they even clear veterinary science spaces .....
First the question is, do you want to study Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Sciences? Although somewhat synergistic, each leads to a different career path and each course has their own requirements with regards to grades and work-experience; the former requiring a substantial amount.
Please note you do need work experience for veterinary medicine........

Original post by s817
Veterinary medicine and veterinary science are the same thing and lead to the same career paths. Veterinary bioscience is different and I presume you are confusing that with veterinary science.

Original post by TheAwksTurtle
First the question is, do you want to study Veterinary Medicine or Veterinary Sciences? Although somewhat synergistic, each leads to a different career path and each course has their own requirements with regards to grades and work-experience; the former requiring a substantial amount.
Reply 6
Original post by animalmagic

Thank you i kinda guessed youd need experience for veterinary medicine. probably need 100 hours +
You can find the work experience requirement on each university's website. Be aware that it can change from year to year. For 2018 Bristol was a minimum of 1 week at a vet and 1 week in a related area.

As far as your GCSEs go and if a btec is acceptable I suggest you contact admissions and check with them if it isn't clear on their website.

Good luck!

Original post by Miss_Selkie
Hello

I am 21 years old and considering pursing vet medicine. I adore animal especially rodents. My only option for university would be uni of bristol but I dont think i would stand a chance with my low grade GCSEs. (ive been out of education since 2013 and have been sick since but now im on the road to recovery)

My GCSEs
Design and technology - B
Science Core- C
Mathematics - C
English Language- D (im retaking the exam next year)
English Literature- C
RS - D
Art and Design- B
Textiles - C
Health and social care - C
ICT - Merit

Whats my best way foward please. i have applied for btec level 3 in animal management as i know i could possibly get into gateway at bristol with that.

how much work experience do i need when applying to uni?
any other advice would be appreciated .

Thank You

Sofie
I would suggest getting as much work experience as possible so start applying as soon as you can. It can be a great benefit. 1) it will be great on your CV, 2) will favour you in uni honestly, 3) employers will love it.
Veterinary medicine and veterinary science are the same thing and lead to the same career paths. Veterinary bioscience is different and I presume you are confusing that with veterinary science.

My bad haha. Was confusing it with animal sciences!
Original post by TheAwksTurtle

whats the difference between the two? i thought they would be the same? Bristol only offers veterinary science. will that lead to a vet job?
Reply 11
Original post by Miss_Selkie
I want to apply for veterinary science . bristol is the only local university and i cant move any as live in council. plus i doubt they even clear veterinary science spaces .....

Do the btec then apply to bristol uni, you should get accepted
You can find the work experience requirement on each university's website. Be aware that it can change from year to year. For 2018 Bristol was a minimum of 1 week at a vet and 1 week in a related area.

As far as your GCSEs go and if a btec is acceptable I suggest you contact admissions and check with them if it isn't clear on their website.

Good luck!

Ill phone on monday as im really worried about it asks for two Bs in science and i only have Cs from school and no local colleges offer GCSE science :frown:
Some very confusing replies here, Vet Med and Vet Science are the same thing and both lead to becoming a veterinary surgeon. You do need to do work experience. Also it has gone into clearing over the last couple years.

What is it about veterinary that appeals to you? Have you considered vet nursing?
Contact your local vets and arrange some work experience to see which aspects of the job you enjoy; often peoples ideas are far from the reality of the job. Now is the time to arrange lambing placements for next year and you should look at other husbandry work experience like stables, kennels and dairy.

I don't know anything about the BTEC so think you would be best to contact admissions and explain your circumstances, they are there to help.
Good luck!
Original post by lwescott
Some very confusing replies here, Vet Med and Vet Science are the same thing and both lead to becoming a veterinary surgeon. You do need to do work experience. Also it has gone into clearing over the last couple years.

What is it about veterinary that appeals to you? Have you considered vet nursing?
Contact your local vets and arrange some work experience to see which aspects of the job you enjoy; often peoples ideas are far from the reality of the job. Now is the time to arrange lambing placements for next year and you should look at other husbandry work experience like stables, kennels and dairy.

I don't know anything about the BTEC so think you would be best to contact admissions and explain your circumstances, they are there to help.
Good luck!

I have considered vet nursing but again the only local uni is bristol and it requires A level biology along side animal management which my local college wont let me do :/

Yes you do, not sure where you’ve got that information from, each university requires some time spent in clinical practice.
Hey.

So I did a BTEC instead of A levels, as a levels really didn’t suit me. I got DDD and I’m at Liverpool uni. Since I applied you do however also need an A Level alongside the BTEC to apply to other universities. I did however have the GCSE’s.

I think it’s probably worth you going back and re-doing your GCSE’s, and doing a BTEC if required alongside Chem A Level and then applying. You could also look at year 0 at Liverpool if you’ve been out of education for a while.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lizziefickling
Hey.

So I did a BTEC instead of A levels, as a levels really didn’t suit me. I got DDD and I’m at Liverpool uni. Since I applied you do however also need an A Level alongside the BTEC to apply to other universities. I did however have the GCSE’s.

I think it’s probably worth you going back and re-doing your GCSE’s, and doing a BTEC if required alongside Chem A Level and then applying. You could also look at year 0 at Liverpool if you’ve been out of education for a while.

I can only apply for Bristol University. They offer a year 0. And my local college only offers mathematics and English language:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest