Turn on thread page Beta

I ll pay £107 for BT 512 broadband..

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad i lived at home!

ReputationRep:
    Internet is free at Liverpool, unless I'm missing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Was free in some halls and uni too-appears we got a good deal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Was free in some halls and uni too-appears we got a good deal!
    I think in KCL and UCL it's free too. Guess you get what you pay for.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It's free at Warwick too (when I say free, I mean you don't pay any extra but I think it's probably covered in the rent).
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Probably included the price in your hall fees... like my uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    Probably included the price in your hall fees... like my uni.
    That's what they said but if you look at the hall fees that charge for internet and take into account of cost of living etc I'm sure there will be differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    We (Birmingham students) get it in with our accomadation and it goes up to 4Gb/s! Hope I havn't angered anyone by making you aware of this!
    No you haven't angered anyone, just made a mistake
    I think you'll find its 4Mb/sec as the biggest "fat pipe" ISPs can rent from BT to provide broadband to customers is 0.622Gb/sec. I also think you would need an optical fibre connection for 4Gb/sec which I doubt the uni has going to each room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aos101)
    No you haven't angered anyone, just made a mistake
    I think you'll find its 4Mb/sec as the biggest "fat pipe" ISPs can rent from BT to provide broadband to customers is 0.622Gb/sec. I also think you would need an optical fibre connection for 4Gb/sec which I doubt the uni has going to each room
    Well that was what someone at the uni told me it had gotten up to before. Guess he was mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Well that was what someone at the uni told me it had gotten up to before. Guess he was mistaken.
    I think they were mistaken, but its an easy mistake to make if you don't have a good understanding of what Mb's and Gb's mean in terms of bandwidth.

ReputationRep:
    maybe brum uni has a 40gbit JaNet hookup for the entire uni? Seems plausible.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. It probably is 4Mb/sec - after all, rooms will only be linked up by at most a 100Mbit network - but aos101, you should be aware that most uni students do not go through ISPs, they get a connection through the Joint Academic Network (JANET) which serves schools, colleges and unis across the country.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.