At which age should children be held accountable for their criminal acts?

Watch
chuckymeg
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I did an extended piece of writing on this topic, and I want to know what you guys think.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chuckymeg)
I did an extended piece of writing on this topic, and I want to know what you guys think.
Well its currently 10 in the UK which I think its fair as at 10 you should very well know the difference between right and wrong.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i think that 10 is about right.
chuckymeg
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Personally, I'm in favour of scrapping the minimum age of criminal responsibility completely and treating each case on its own merits. The problem with taking any given age is arbitrariness, for example, some ten-year-olds are more mature than others.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chuckymeg)
Personally, I'm in favour of scrapping the minimum age of criminal responsibility completely and treating each case on its own merits. The problem with taking any given age is arbitrariness, for example, some ten-year-olds are more mature than others.
There needs to be some sort of arbitrary age though as everyone should be treated the same in law with the same rules.

Immaturity also should never be an excuse, like being drunk isnt. For Children under 16 though, aswell as punishing them severely so they learn, their parents should also punished as they are obviously terrible at parenting.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with 10 as it currently is
DCFCfan4eva
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jack22031994)
There needs to be some sort of arbitrary age though as everyone should be treated the same in law with the same rules.

Immaturity also should never be an excuse, like being drunk isnt. For Children under 16 though, Id also alwell as punishing them severely so they learn, their parents should also punished as they are obviously terrible at parenting.
not always. some kids go off the rails despite the parents best efforts.

there is only a certain amount you can teach before they need to work it out for themselves
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
criminal gangs often use children to do their dirty work as they will not be punished.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the Scottish system is better with a very low age of criminal responsibility (8) but a very high threshold for bringing children into the court system. Most child criminals in Scotland are put into the care system without the need to prove failure on the part of parents. Fewer than 100 children a year stand a formal trial in Scotland.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DCFCfan4eva)
not always. some kids go off the rails despite the parents best efforts.

there is only a certain amount you can teach before they need to work it out for themselves

Maybe so with your first point

If they cant learn or work it out for themselves they need proper punishment then, which wont happen in this county as theyll always be a lefty liberal meerkat sticking their head up going "They have rights, you cant do that!!!."
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Age 10. They should be responsible for their own actions and words. But I feel like age 13 is the age where you cannot say “but they were little kids then, people change” when people find out when they’re in their 20’s. Idc. Like racism , homophobia and crime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads