Sine and Cosine to find area of surface.

Watch this thread
Whynotdd
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am struggling with this one, finding the area of the land via the sine or cosine rule. I just don't see how I can go about it, I know I could use the formula for the area of a non-right angled triangle if I split it from B to D and make two trianges (½ ab sin C) However, I don't see how I can use the sine rule and apply it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached files
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
you need to split this quadrilateral into two triangles from B to D then use 1/2abSinC.

no need for the Sine Rule
Whynotdd
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
you need to split this quadrilateral into two triangles.
That is exactly what I thought, its not possible to use it either is it?
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i think you are perhaps mistaking "sine rule" for "use the area formula which mentions the sine" ?
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
1/ If you draw a line BD, then you can use 1/2*A*B*SinC. i.e, 1/2*146.3*87*Sin120 and also 1/2*263.5*198.7*Sin60.
2/ Then add them together. As long as you have two sides enclosed in an angle, you can use the formula 1/2ABSinC.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Whynotdd)
Sine rule helps you find an angle or a length in a triangle, nothing to do with its area.
have
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
That way is the easiest way to do it. There probably is a way to do it using sine rule, but the question is why would you?
MezmorisedPotato
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i think you are perhaps mistaking "sine rule" for "use the area formula which mentions the sine" ?
The area for triangle formula 1/2ABSinC is a derivation of the sine rule so it is technically the sine rule for area of triangles. Think that is what they meant.
Whynotdd
Rep:
(Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
1/ If you draw a line BD, then you can use 1/2*A*B*SinC. i.e, 1/2*146.3*87*Sin120 and also 1/2*263.5*198.7*Sin60.
2/ Then add them together. As long as you have two sides enclosed in an angle, you can use the formula 1/2ABSinC.
Yes, I know which Is what I am using but the questions specifically asks for sine or cosine rule which I dont see how you do it.
MezmorisedPotato
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I know which Is what I am using but the questions specifically asks for sine or cosine rule which I dont see how you do it.
The area rule 1/2ABSinC is a derivation of the sine rule. They are based on each other so you are essentially using a version of the sine rule.
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
well if you insist:

find BD using the Cosine Rule. then you have all the sides of the triangles and can then use Heron's Rule to find the two areas.
Whynotdd
Rep:
(Original post by StayWoke)
That way is the easiest way to do it. There probably is a way to do it using sine rule, but the question is why would you?
Thats what the question is asking for haha. It boggles me.
Whynotdd
Rep:
The area rule 1/2ABSinC is a derivation of the sine rule. They are based on each other so you are essentially using a version of the sine rule.
I will have to outsmart my tutor with that comeback then
Whynotdd
Rep:
well if you insist:

find BD using the Cosine Rule. then you have all the sides of the triangles and can then use Heron's Rule to find the two areas.
Thank you very much
Whynotdd
Rep:
No it says use the sine or cosine rule to measure the area of the land.
MezmorisedPotato
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I will have to outsmart my tutor with that comeback then
Hahahaha
I am quite sure that is what they mean in the question, otherwise it seems like quite a long winded process which can be a pain!
MezmorisedPotato
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
well if you insist:

I just looked up this formula and it is actually so amazing Can't believe no one taught it to me in the past!
Whynotdd
Rep:
I just looked up this formula and it is actually so amazing Can't believe no one taught it to me in the past!
Yeah, I know. I knew it for a while but when he said specifically to use the sine rule it hurt my head cause I couldnt see the way to do it.
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No it says use the sine or cosine rule to measure the area of the land.

Name:  tsrsincossimply.png
Views: 166
Size:  288.3 KB
Whynotdd
Rep:

Name:  tsrsincossimply.png
Views: 166
Size:  288.3 KB

haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.5%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (12)
15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
21.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.75%

Watched Threads