University of Derby online for MSc in Psychology Watch

kbchee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone is studying MSc in Psychology with University of Derby online? Looking for experience sharing and advice.

Thanks.
Jade199
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kbchee)
Anyone is studying MSc in Psychology with University of Derby online? Looking for experience sharing and advice.

Thanks.
Pity there's been no replies yet, I have the same question.

Have you applied to the course in the meantime? Have you gotten any feedback from elsewhere about it?
Tinkerton4210
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just enrolled on the MSc Psychology at UDOL to start on 29th January. Slightly nervous!
Jade199
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tinkerton4210)
I've just enrolled on the MSc Psychology at UDOL to start on 29th January. Slightly nervous!
Had you considered any other unis? If so what made you choose this one?
Tinkerton4210
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would have liked to do the course full-time and I was looking at Surrey and Staffordshire, on the basis that I had friends and family in those areas who had offered me free accommodation for the year. However even with this offer it would be difficult financially for me to manage full-time study, so I decided to go for part time distance learning. Liverpool has the best ranking but the fees were too high (£18,000) so I applied to Derby and Birmingham City. Derby accepted me and I can start right away, so I decided to go with them as the Birmingham course doesn't start until September. They are all BPS-accredited courses which is important as I would like to go on to do a PhD.
Jade199
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tinkerton4210)
I would have liked to do the course full-time and I was looking at Surrey and Staffordshire, on the basis that I had friends and family in those areas who had offered me free accommodation for the year. However even with this offer it would be difficult financially for me to manage full-time study, so I decided to go for part time distance learning. Liverpool has the best ranking but the fees were too high (£18,000) so I applied to Derby and Birmingham City. Derby accepted me and I can start right away, so I decided to go with them as the Birmingham course doesn't start until September. They are all BPS-accredited courses which is important as I would like to go on to do a PhD.
Interesting. I liked the look of Liverpool too but yes those fees are insane so that rules them out. Same goes for the online masters with Roehampton and Manchester Metropolitan. I'm still tossing up Birmingham City too but I read on their site it's not a conversion course so I have to get onto the BPS to understand if that means there's no GBC membership after that one. Arden University looks very convenient too but it only has uni status since 2016 so I'm not sure how employers and phd courses would look on that after.
Anyways, thanks for replying and best of luck staring your course!!
Tinkerton4210
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For what it's worth I think employers are impressed with anyone who can study part-time (regardless of which university you are at) while also holding down a job, especially if it's in a relevant field. I studied law some years ago part-time while working full time, and at recruitment fairs this was definitely the impression that I got. And if Arden is BPS accredited then they must have put together a decent course.
Good luck to you too, whatever you decide!
Zdawwg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am considering starting at Derby too, maybe later on this year. My understanding is that the Birmingham one isn't accredited by BPS. So you definitely won't get GBC. Basically you have to choose one of the courses listed here to get GBC (unless you already have an undergrad that qualifies you): https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become...edited-courses
xhayl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How was people finding the MSc Psychology with UDOL? I am looking at enrolling into the BSc Psychology for May.

What has the online material been like? And you enjoying it?
Allycat76
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have just been offered a place on the same course. I have a BSc behavioural science from 2002 with two thirds of it being psychology! Nervous but excited,
University of Derby
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Allycat76)
I have just been offered a place on the same course. I have a BSc behavioural science from 2002 with two thirds of it being psychology! Nervous but excited,
Allycat76 Congratulations on you offer. If you have any questions please let us know. Good luck with your studies. ~ Callum
Allycat76
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by University of Derby)
Allycat76 Congratulations on you offer. If you have any questions please let us know. Good luck with your studies. ~ Callum
Hi Callum. I see there are optional modules that can be done each black ie clinical, forensic, psychology of pain etc. How does that work? How do you sign up for the additional modules etc

Alina
University of Derby
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Allycat76)
Hi Callum. I see there are optional modules that can be done each black ie clinical, forensic, psychology of pain etc. How does that work? How do you sign up for the additional modules etc

Alina
Hi Allycat76,

I am not sure on the answer to this, but will find out the answer and then DM you if that is okay?

Callum
mpenny101
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Anyone enrolling for a September 2018 start? I have ummed and ahhed and think this is the best one for me - it's the highest rated uni that is accredited.
Psyclin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am also looking forward to enrolling for the Sep 2018 start... fingers crossed!
Psyclin
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Psyclin)
I am also looking forward to enrolling for the Sep 2018 start... fingers crossed!
I am also planning to enroll... took me 2 years of contemplation including the ooohs and aaahs to arrive at Derby... the very point from where I had started....

Just wanted to know their admission requirements... do they need references?
anfohs
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi All, has anyone started the course at derby/ liverpool (msc psychology conversion). If so what is your experience so far? I am considering both for nov/ Jan start. Thanks
Jade199
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Psyclin)
I am also planning to enroll... took me 2 years of contemplation including the ooohs and aaahs to arrive at Derby... the very point from where I had started....

Just wanted to know their admission requirements... do they need references?
No I don't think so, I didn't need any when I applied in any case. You do need your transcripts though, and a CV and a motivational statement.
University of Derby
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi Psyclin,

I've spoken to our UDOL Admissions team about the Psychology MSc and confirmed the answers for you

- A copy of your existing degree certificate and photographic ID are the principle entry requirements
- You won't need to give any references, though they are optional if you want to include them
- Your CV and a supporting statement are useful to include, especially if you're worried about your existing qualifications. The teaching team involved on the course will use these in conjunction with UDOL Admissions in order to decide on your application

I really hope that helps and best of luck with your application.

Ryan

PS Thanks Jade199 for pitching in too!
agnes1084
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by kbchee)

Thanks.
Hello kbchee,
I am also thinking of this course - working full-time at the moment and would do it while working. Did you find more information about it? Did you go for it? and if so... Is it worthwhile, enjoyable, and is the workload manageable?
Thanks,
Agnès
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Undergraduate Taster Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 1 May '19
  • University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 14 May '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (366)
37.39%
No - but I will (74)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (68)
6.95%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (471)
48.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed