Sam.T.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Any advice on the important quotes + ideas to remember for AQA Religious Studies (we study Christianity + Islam). Also any tips on revising & exam technique.

Any help would be much appreciated.
inoubliable
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For the Ethics Paper, I would learn quotes and teachings that apply to as many themes as possible. For example, "God gives and takes life" can apply to Euthanasia, abortion and punishment. No quote is exactly more important than the other, as long as you are capable of actually explaining it and understand what it means.

However, my teacher does say there are 'Grade 9' teachings which make you really stand out. These are the ones that are specific to a theme. For example, "You knit me together in my mother's womb" is specific only to abortion, and that would really help you stand out when everyone else is using things like "Life is sacred".

As for the beliefs and teachings papers for Islam and Christianity, that really just comes down to you learning terms such as omnipotent, Al-Qadir, transcendence and immanence etc. Some of the time, you can get away with using ideas and themes from either religion, because they are really similar, but you have to learn religion specific terminology and teachings. To learn the stories, I just remember key words in chronological order.

For example, the night of power:
1) Party
2) Cave
3) Angel
4) Read!
5) Khadijah

How I revise is using colour coded flash cards. Pink = ethics, and yellow = beliefs and teachings. On one side I talk about the theme and important vocab.

For example, Theme: Animal Experiment (1st side)

Animals are used for a variety of reasons:
> Scientific studies
> Eating/food
> Experiments (for cosmetics)
> Sport
> Fur trade and hunting
The uses above could be characterised into acceptable and unacceptable. Animal experiments are sometimes thought to very cruel, since they are living things and it impact them. However they are very beneficial to the human race, hence why so many people support the use of animals for scientific studies and food.

Key Words:
Superior/inferior - higher/lower (in importance)
Stewardship - The power (given by God) to look after something

________________________________ _____________________

On the other side, I give 2 teachings for both Islam and Christianity. 1 for and 1 against.

For example, teachings:

Islam:
FOR: Allah gave us the knowledge and the science, so we should use it our benefit.
AGAINST: If you mistreat an animal, you will be accused on judgement day

Christianity:
FOR: We are given dominion over animals
AGAINST: God made us steward

My teacher also made us double sided sheets for each theme, one side for Islam and one for Christianity and each side has 9-10 teachings/quotes. You pick 3-4 from each side that you really, really understand and can explain really well. Then it just comes down to remembering them.

Another thing you can do is, using an A3 piece of paper, put the the theme or religion in the middle, and then literally, obviously compartmentalising it, just write everything you remember and know about it. Write down teachings and quotes. Write down your opinion, what type of questions they could ask you etc. I do this once every few months.

But as I said before, these isn't anything specifically that is more likely to be asked more than anything. You need to learn A LOT for RS and it is quite hard ngl.
Sam.T.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by inoubliable)
For the Ethics Paper, I would learn quotes and teachings that apply to as many themes as possible. For example, "God gives and takes life" can apply to Euthanasia, abortion and punishment. No quote is exactly more important than the other, as long as you are capable of actually explaining it and understand what it means.

However, my teacher does say there are 'Grade 9' teachings which make you really stand out. These are the ones that are specific to a theme. For example, "You knit me together in my mother's womb" is specific only to abortion, and that would really help you stand out when everyone else is using things like "Life is sacred".

As for the beliefs and teachings papers for Islam and Christianity, that really just comes down to you learning terms such as omnipotent, Al-Qadir, transcendence and immanence etc. Some of the time, you can get away with using ideas and themes from either religion, because they are really similar, but you have to learn religion specific terminology and teachings. To learn the stories, I just remember key words in chronological order.

For example, the night of power:
1) Party
2) Cave
3) Angel
4) Read!
5) Khadijah

How I revise is using colour coded flash cards. Pink = ethics, and yellow = beliefs and teachings. On one side I talk about the theme and important vocab.

For example, Theme: Animal Experiment (1st side)

Animals are used for a variety of reasons:
> Scientific studies
> Eating/food
> Experiments (for cosmetics)
> Sport
> Fur trade and hunting
The uses above could be characterised into acceptable and unacceptable. Animal experiments are sometimes thought to very cruel, since they are living things and it impact them. However they are very beneficial to the human race, hence why so many people support the use of animals for scientific studies and food.

Key Words:
Superior/inferior - higher/lower (in importance)
Stewardship - The power (given by God) to look after something

________________________________ _____________________

On the other side, I give 2 teachings for both Islam and Christianity. 1 for and 1 against.

For example, teachings:

Islam:
FOR: Allah gave us the knowledge and the science, so we should use it our benefit.
AGAINST: If you mistreat an animal, you will be accused on judgement day

Christianity:
FOR: We are given dominion over animals
AGAINST: God made us steward

My teacher also made us double sided sheets for each theme, one side for Islam and one for Christianity and each side has 9-10 teachings/quotes. You pick 3-4 from each side that you really, really understand and can explain really well. Then it just comes down to remembering them.

Another thing you can do is, using an A3 piece of paper, put the the theme or religion in the middle, and then literally, obviously compartmentalising it, just write everything you remember and know about it. Write down teachings and quotes. Write down your opinion, what type of questions they could ask you etc. I do this once every few months.

But as I said before, these isn't anything specifically that is more likely to be asked more than anything. You need to learn A LOT for RS and it is quite hard ngl.
Thanks a lot for your help & replying
champagnemami1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I do Islam and Christianity too. Some of the quotes I use for Christianity are “love your neighbour as yourself” (parable of the Good Samaritan) and “an eye for an eye , a tooth for a tooth , a life for a life” (bible). Some Islam quotes are “let the people forgive, do you not wish allah would forgive you” (Qur’an) and “whoever takes a life, it is as though they have taken the lives of all mankind” not too sure if the quotes are precise but they are very similar to that so look it up to be sure. Good luck
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
imago dei is a particularly useful teaching for the ethics paper particularly when discussing war, abortion and the such like.
AlexHp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know good ones for sin in Christianity
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (117)
52.47%
No (106)
47.53%

Watched Threads