Polymeric Sulfur nitride (SN)x, a one dimensional conductor Watch

Irimh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can you please provide two synthetic methods of preparation of (SN)x?
Actually i got only one method of preparation that is from S2N2. Please provide another one method.

And can anyone please comment briefly on the one dimensionality of (SN)x.
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Irimh)
Can you please provide two synthetic methods of preparation of (SN)x?
Actually i got only one method of preparation that is from S2N2. Please provide another one method.

And can anyone please comment briefly on the one dimensionality of (SN)x.
preparation from S2N2 is the classic (and the only way I know of) although a text like Wilkinson or Greenwood and Earnshaw might suggest something better/different.

The (SN)x chains are interesting because the theory of the Peierls distortion suggests that a one dimensional conductor will distort and become insulating. (SN)x as a conductor appears to break this rule. This is possible because there is significant interaction between the chains of (SN)x this means that system is not truly one dimensional so its conduction is not in breach of the rule.
Irimh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by MexicanKeith)
preparation from S2N2 is the classic (and the only way I know of) although a text like Wilkinson or Greenwood and Earnshaw might suggest something better/different.

The (SN)x chains are interesting because the theory of the Peierls distortion suggests that a one dimensional conductor will distort and become insulating. (SN)x as a conductor appears to break this rule. This is possible because there is significant interaction between the chains of (SN)x this means that system is not truly one dimensional so its conduction is not in breach of the rule.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?