The Student Room Group

Required Practical HELP PLEASE - Root Tip Mitosis

We are doing a garlic root tip practical, it is my first practical I am writing up.

I have done the aim and hypothesis. I don't know what to say for the discussion of factors (what may affect the experiment) or the IV, DV or control variables.

Thanks
Independent variable : what are you changing?Dependant variable : what are you measuring?Variable factors : what might affect it? Temperature. Suface area. Ph. Think about what could stop mitosis from happening or destroy cells things like that.What variables did you control :the things you made sure to keep the same and how you did this (this will cross over with the one above)
Reply 2
Original post by AdamMaybury567
Independent variable : what are you changing?Dependant variable : what are you measuring?Variable factors : what might affect it? Temperature. Suface area. Ph. Think about what could stop mitosis from happening or destroy cells things like that.What variables did you control :the things you made sure to keep the same and how you did this (this will cross over with the one above)

I know what an IV, DV and CVs are but I'm not sure in this experiment as nothing was really changed and we were just observing mitosis in a root tip through a microscope.
Original post by Traore
I know what an IV, DV and CVs are but I'm not sure in this experiment as nothing was really changed and we were just observing mitosis in a root tip through a microscope.

Hmm, I'm at A-Level atm as well and haven't done this one yet so I cant tell you off the top of my head, if it was a purely observational study then IV and DV shouldn't apply i would recommend checking with a teacher asap though.
If you’re observing the root tip at different stages of mitosis, wouldn’t that be the independant variable?
Control variables could be using the root tip from the same type of plant, same section, and for discussion of factors you could talk about the need for differentia staining to add contrast so you can see the structures, and talk about when you can clearly see structures (when the DNA condenses around histone proteins to form chromosomes) Think about what effects rate of division, chemicals such as fertilisers could slow down the rate of mitiosis, don’t take everything im saying as 100% accurate haha i’m a year 2 bio student
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending