Alxkb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to be doing something in the future such as biomedical engineering/pharmacology/medicine/astro physics but I'm not sure to pick chemistry or physics. I like physics more but biology (my definite choice) doesn't pair well with physics as well as chemistry does it?
Can anyone outline a few pathways I can take with a combination of the two as I'm in year 11 rn and I need to start applying to colleges so I'm unsure... Thanks to anyone in advance ^_^
Sadiyah24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Engineering would mean you need physics because it relates more to biomed eng. It's possible to get into medicine with physics and bio. I do both Physics and Chemistry at A-Level along with Maths. Chemistry related to more specific kind of compounds and reactions involved, physics is a lot more maths but personally I enjoy physics more than chemistry. I'm using my Physics and Maths to go forward to design engineering so my Chemistry is basically useless.
Alxkb
Rep:
?
mhm... interesting 🙄 so I'll just need to decide what kind I want for my future and follow that subject?
hydroxide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
mhm... interesting 🙄 so I'll just need to decide what kind I want for my future and follow that subject?
you could always do three sciences

if you just want to do two, that's fair enough, but note for medicine you pretty much must need chemistry
SlashaRussia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
I want to be doing something in the future such as biomedical engineering/pharmacology/medicine/astro physics but I'm not sure to pick chemistry or physics. I like physics more but biology (my definite choice) doesn't pair well with physics as well as chemistry does it?
Can anyone outline a few pathways I can take with a combination of the two as I'm in year 11 rn and I need to start applying to colleges so I'm unsure... Thanks to anyone in advance ^_^
Well if you are even considering medicine or something related to that, you have to take chemistry.

But for engineering and astrophysics, Physics is usually essential. So my advice would be take all three sciences if you aren't sure (possibly look into maths if you feel you could handle 4 a levels?)

Also as a side note, biology links more with chemistry, from my understanding
Alxkb
Rep:
?
Thanks 😆😆 it's been helpful but also last q, is maths heavily required for sciences like biology or is it mainly physics that it's required for?
momothecat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you really should do maths.
Alxkb
Rep:
?
(Original post by momothecat)
you really should do maths.
Does maths need to be as high a grade as the others or can I rest on a 6?
Ukvoltaire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
Well I like Chemistry more than Physics, but go for what you want..
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alxkb)
You need to work out what you want to do. For Medicine, and probably all the other biological options you've outlined there, you either have to take Chemistry or it's highly desirable. For astrophysics, you are definitely going to want Physics (and Maths).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads