Diazepam Information?

Watch
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I have just been prescribed diazepam, because my panic attacks are now being really **** again, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with diazepam?

They are only to be taken when a severe attack is coming on, but I am just very iffy about it. I don’t really like medication and I have heard some bad stuff about diazepam.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't get addicted and you'll be fine.
Don't take with alcohol.
Don't take more than you are prescribed.
Don't take if you don't need it.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Don't get addicted and you'll be fine.
Don't take with alcohol.
Don't take more than you are prescribed.
Don't take if you don't need it.
Well, that’s all reasonably easy. Like I say, I think I’ve just heard way too many stories about people getting pretty addicted to the stuff.
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what's diazepam
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dandiprat)
Well, that’s all reasonably easy. Like I say, I think I’ve just heard way too many stories about people getting pretty addicted to the stuff.
It is pretty addictive yes, and should only be a last resort.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
NGL it makes you feel nice, it makes you feel even nicer when mixed with a little alcohol. That's where the problem comes from, people do that to get high, and definitely should not. That, along with "hmm I'm feeling a little on edge maybe I should take one" rather than "**** I'm about to have a really bad panic attack"- ie take exactly as prescribed.

The fact you're worried about addiction is a good sign.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I have just been prescribed diazepam, because my panic attacks are now being really **** again, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with diazepam?

They are only to be taken when a severe attack is coming on, but I am just very iffy about it. I don’t really like medication and I have heard some bad stuff about diazepam.
:hugs: Sorry to hear you've been having panic attacks. Diazepam I've found is quite good for my sleeping problems but like you, I was concerned about using it as a crutch.

I presume you're doing a course of therapy? If not, please do!! I'm apprehensive about people using medication as a way to deal with panic attacks, yes they are horrible and I can see why you'd be attempted to address them with a magic pill if offered, but I do feel that addressing why exactly the panic attacks arise would be more useful to you. What is it that you think cause them? Try to identify triggers. I am trying to take charge of my anxiety and panic attacks through regular exercise, which has a great effect on your body's ability to cope with stressors, and also focussing more intently on my breathing. There are various exercises you can do that will give you more focus on your breaths in general and control over them. I really do recommend this. If you talk to a therapist about this they should be able to give you guidance about breathing exercises but also check mindfulness apps such as Insight Timer. If you commit to doing some short meditative exercises on there now and then, which can only take 5-10 mins, it could really help you.

Hope you find healthy coping strategies to overcome your anxiety!!
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
It is pretty addictive yes, and should only be a last resort.
Yikes. Well, I will hope things sort themselves out I am having pretty severe 2-3 hour long attacks quite regularly atm, with instances of shock. I would rather not have to be taking the diazepam every time.
VaniIIa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've had diazepam recreationally and it really stops any sort of stress.

Makes you v tired.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
NGL it makes you feel nice, it makes you feel even nicer when mixed with a little alcohol. That's where the problem comes from, people do that to get high, and definitely should not. That, along with "hmm I'm feeling a little on edge maybe I should take one" rather than "**** I'm about to have a really bad panic attack"- ie take exactly as prescribed.

The fact you're worried about addiction is a good sign.
I have to admit that being a pretty anxious person has its benefits—it means I sometimes actually worry about some stuff that’s worth worrying about, aha :’)

But cheers for that information! I will definitely stay very aware of the alcohol point, and might lay off any social drinking this christmas just in case. Wouldn’t want to put myself in that situation.
dandiprat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
:hugs: Sorry to hear you've been having panic attacks. Diazepam I've found is quite good for my sleeping problems but like you, I was concerned about using it as a crutch.

I presume you're doing a course of therapy? If not, please do!! I'm apprehensive about people using medication as a way to deal with panic attacks, yes they are horrible and I can see why you'd be attempted to address them with a magic pill if offered, but I do feel that addressing why exactly the panic attacks arise would be more useful to you. What is it that you think cause them? Try to identify triggers. I am trying to take charge of my anxiety and panic attacks through regular exercise, which has a great effect on your body's ability to cope with stressors, and also focussing more intently on my breathing. There are various exercises you can do that will give you more focus on your breaths in general and control over them. I really do recommend this. If you talk to a therapist about this they should be able to give you guidance about breathing exercises but also check mindfulness apps such as Insight Timer. If you commit to doing some short meditative exercises on there now and then, which can only take 5-10 mins, it could really help you.

Hope you find healthy coping strategies to overcome your anxiety!!
Thank you I have been advised by the hospital today to go to a local centre for CBT, because I obviously have huge aspirations to do well with my education but this keeps getting in the way. Unfortunately, I have never had the best luck with therapy, so I am pretty apprehensive about trying it out again... but I am going to do it. The sad thing is that I have never identified any plausible triggers, and I have been suffering now since 7—so, it’s nearing 13 years still with no clue. I have been worrying I just have severe imbalances, which would be no good because most anxiety medications have sent me down a very bad road in the past :/

I will definitely try to find somewhere local that provides mindfulness though, over just an application. I probably would get too frustrated in my own time to properly put my head down to it :’)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.7%
England (141)
34.56%
Belgium (31)
7.6%
Germany (41)
10.05%
Spain (9)
2.21%