The Student Room Group

Am I being underpaid at dominos?

So basically I take phone calls,put stickers on the boxes and make boxes. But I only get paid 4.10 and hour and I’m 16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the minimum wage for someone under 18 is currently £4.05 an hour
Reply 2
Original post by Tom3198

Original post by Tom3198

But aren’t I being paid too less for what I do? One of my friends is getting double that an hour
Original post by coonboy
But aren’t I being paid too less for what I do? One of my friends is getting double that an hour

Well, you chose to work there and agreed to the contract. If you feel like you aren't getting paid enough, you can leave, but it may not be easy to get a new job.

What job does your friend do?
Original post by coonboy

How old is your friend?
Reply 5
Original post by CrazyPantha27
How old is your friend?

Reply 6
Original post by TheMindGarage
Well, you chose to work there and agreed to the contract. If you feel like you aren't getting paid enough, you can leave, but it may not be easy to get a new job.

What job does your friend do?

He works on the till in Waitrose.
Original post by coonboy
He works on the till in Waitrose.

Well, working on a till is harder than making boxes. Plus I've heard that getting into Waitrose is very competitive.
Reply 8
Original post by TheMindGarage
Well, working on a till is harder than making boxes. Plus I've heard that getting into Waitrose is very competitive.

Well I do answer the phone for orders and take orders when a customer comes into the store. It is very competitive
Original post by coonboy
Well I do answer the phone for orders and take orders when a customer comes into the store. It is very competitive

Working on the tills requires more training though.

That's not what I meant by competitive. Did you have to go through a lengthy selection and interview process against at least a dozen other applicants?
Original post by coonboy

You get paid fairly for what you do as it is above minimum wage, what other people get doesnt matter if it isnt the same job (at the same age)

If you want the wage that your friend gets then you'll have to get a job where they work (doing the same role as them)
Your pay is fine for your age.
I feel like people are being a little harsh in here, the pay probably isn’t fair, there’ll be people in dominos who are 18 doing very similar if not the same job and getting more per hour. I worked at McDonald’s and it was the same situation, the awful pay made the job seem worthless so I quit.

It’s your choice what you do but I agree it can seem awfully unfair.
Your friend does work for a different company.
No the minimum wage is £4.05 for 16 year olds so you are being paid enough legally. If you don’t feel that the pay is fair then search for a job that pays more.
well done you have learnt an important lesson: Not all jobs pay the same, and not all pay is fairly representative of your work?

So now what are you going to do?

A. Whine and cry about how its not fair?

B. Go and get a job at the place that pays more (if your good enough)

simple..
How old are you and how much did they pay you per hour.
Original post by coonboy
So basically I take phone calls,put stickers on the boxes and make boxes. But I only get paid 4.10 and hour and I’m 16

You know what, you are better off than most 16 year olds who are job less.

I will stick it out and be grateful because you are still able to support yourself with what you earn.
Reply 18
Original post by Blackstarr
How old are you and how much did they pay you per hour.

16 and they pay 4.10 an hour
Reply 19
Original post by Chaz254
Why would you work for barely anything?

I think I’ll wait for Waitrose vacancy and then apply there
Original post by EmilySarah00
I feel like people are being a little harsh in here, the pay probably isn’t fair, there’ll be people in dominos who are 18 doing very similar if not the same job and getting more per hour. I worked at McDonald’s and it was the same situation, the awful pay made the job seem worthless so I quit.

It’s your choice what you do but I agree it can seem awfully unfair.

I think I’ll wait for Waitrose vacancy and apply there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending