The Student Room Group

Warwick student stabs boyfriend in face - walks out of court

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
But then you are being a fool and failing to take into account all the circumstances, which the judge obviously has. If the sentence was wrong then the prosecution are free to appeal and pint out where the judge has erred.

And what are those circumstances that the judge has taken into account?
Original post by Trinculo
And what are those circumstances that the judge has taken into account?

Judges take all sorts of considerations into account. Whether or not it was first offence, the extent of the injures caused, if there has been a guilty plea, if the perpetrator has shown genuine remorse. Character references, whether the judge considers that this was a one off incident or not etc.
Original post by artful_lounger
This isn't because she's a "woman" it's because she's a white woman. If she was black, asian, any other ethnicity she would've had her life destroyed by the judge/magistrates.

But if they're a pretty white lady they can get away with (attempted) murder. See also the recent Oxford white woman stabbing her boyfriend while off her face on drugs - who was also a medical student, and there seems to be little indication she won't be allowed to continue her studies in medicine.

This! You smart lol
This isn't because she's a "woman" it's because she's a white woman. If she was black, asian, any other ethnicity she would've had her life destroyed by the judge/magistrates.

But if they're a pretty white lady they can get away with (attempted) murder. See also the recent Oxford white woman stabbing her boyfriend while off her face on drugs - who was also a medical student, and there seems to be little indication she won't be allowed to continue her studies in medicine.

Original post by loveleest
This! You smart lol

Statistically speaking, it would mostly be due to her being a woman. I've pointed this out on this thread already. The sentencing disparity between men and women is several times larger than the one between whites and non-whites. For example, in the US, blacks receive roughly 10% longer sentences for the same crimes after controlling for relevant factors, whereas women receive something like 60% shorter sentences. The UK and Canada have similar patterns if I'm not mistaken.
Original post by Dandaman1
Statistically speaking, it would mostly be due to her being a woman. I've pointed this out on this thread already. The sentencing disparity between men and women is several times larger than the one between whites and non-whites. For example, in the US, blacks receive roughly 10% longer sentences for the same crimes after controlling for relevant factors, whereas women receive something like 60% shorter sentences. The UK and Canada have similar patterns if I'm not mistaken.

If you think that a black woman would get a lighter sentence than a white man, you are wrong
If you think that a black woman would get a lighter sentence than a white man you're really dumb.

Actually a black woman probably would. Again, for the same crimes and with other measurable factors considered, the sentencing disparity between men and women is several times larger than the disparity between blacks and whites. A black woman would serve a longer sentence than a white woman, but a shorter sentence than a white man, simply in terms of statistical probability.
So it's true that animals go to prestigious universities as well.

Spoiler

Reply 27
Actually a black woman probably would. Again, for the same crimes and with other measurable factors considered, the sentencing disparity between men and women is several times larger than the disparity between blacks and whites. A black woman would serve a longer sentence than a white woman, but a shorter sentence than a white man, simply in terms of statistical probability.

It’s actually explicitly written into the sentencing guidelines. If the offender has sole care of a child, this is to be taken into consideration as a factor in reducing any sentence. Most people with sole care of a child ar women. Most people who do not are men. Ergo, men will usually get harsher sentences than women. This is the black letter law definition of indirect sexual discrimination.

It’s worth noting in the Warwick case that the guilty party (the girl that stabbed her boyfriend in the face) received the softest sentence possible - beyond even what is allowable under the sentencing guidelines for Wounding with Intent.
Original post by Trinculo
It’s actually explicitly written into the sentencing guidelines. If the offender has sole care of a child, this is to be taken into consideration as a factor in reducing any sentence. Most people with sole care of a child ar women. Most people who do not are men. Ergo, men will usually get harsher sentences than women. This is the black letter law definition of indirect sexual discrimination.

It’s worth noting in the Warwick case that the guilty party (the girl that stabbed her boyfriend in the face) received the softest sentence possible - beyond even what is allowable under the sentencing guidelines for Wounding with Intent.

Unfortunately, childcare only explains a fraction of the sentencing gap. Childless women still receive significantly shorter sentences on average after controlling for measurable relevant factors like offence severity and prior convictions. Dependents are usually one of the factors controlled for in the data due to those sentencing guidelines.
Original post by arizonaidiot
So it's true that animals go to prestigious universities as well.

Spoiler

Actually sometimes kids of rich parents can be the worst of all.
The gap exists after controlling for criminal history and other measurable variables.

This disparity is actually several times larger than the disparity between black and white people. Women are also much less likely to be charged after arrest, less likely to be kept in custody, etc. They're measurably treated with more leniency at pretty much every stage.

Do you have a source that that it's been controlled like that? Because the moment a statistic requires it to be controlled, it loses objectivity.

I suspect your bullsh*t statistic is just "internet anti-feminist" crap
Original post by Pretty Flako
Do you have a source that that it's been controlled like that? Because the moment a statistic requires it to be controlled, it loses objectivity.

I suspect your bullsh*t statistic is just "internet anti-feminist" crap

All it means is relevant factors are taken into account so we aren't comparing apples to oranges. One might simply compare the average male prison sentence to the average female sentence to see if women are treated more favourably. However, men commit more severe crimes more often, generally resulting in higher sentences and skewing the comparison. The data need to be broken down so we can compare like with like.

It's not a BS statistic, nor is it anti-feminist crap, but a known criminological phenomenon with legitimate studies backing it up.

Here's a start: "Estimating Gender Disparities in Federal Criminal Cases," American Law and Economics Review, Volume 17 (1), 127–159

You could also take initiative and do some research on the subject before calling things bulls**t.
If you think that a black woman would get a lighter sentence than a white man you're really dumb.

My experience when by 15 year old niece was violent mugged at knife point by two ethic minority 18 year old women at train station in the evening. When the case come to trial the judge a man let the women off with £200 fine with they only had to pay £5 a month each because they were on JSA. The judge said he will not give young ladies a prison sentence and regrets that the case come to court because a criminal record could harm the young ladies future.

Do you believe an 18 year old white man who violent mugged a 15 year old boy at knife point would get away with £200 or would he get a prison sentence.

I'm happy to be considered "really dumb" in that case.

Do you have any actual facts relating to that and "you're really dumb" is not an argument

Black conviction rate is actually 77% compared to a white 82%.

Although I will admit that there are often far too many factors in prosecution that mean that statistics do not show the full facts
reading the name of her boyfriend, i sympathise with her. she must have had her reasons...

You could also take initiative and do some research on the subject before calling things bulls**t.

If you're the one making a claim of something being a fact, then the onus really is on you to provide evidence to support it. Rather than saying 'x is true', go research it yourself'.

I find it quite strange that there are a lot of critics of feminism who have become exactly what they thought they were arguing against.
Original post by DeBruyne18
If you're the one making a claim of something being a fact, then the onus really is on you to provide evidence to support it. Rather than saying 'x is true', go research it yourself'.

I find it quite strange that there are a lot of critics of feminism who have become exactly what they thought they were arguing against.

This is an informal debate forum wherein I quoted a fact so well-known and easily accessible in basic criminology I didn't deem a source necessary, particularly as I was quoting from memory. Plus everybody here has Google at their fingertips. If you want to fact check something, it takes minutes. I assumed people would do so and correct me if I was in error.

It really isn't a big deal.
Reply 38
I'm afraid this applies across genders. Sentencing for violent crime is incredibly lenient in this country, despite it being the very worst category of offence in my eyes. In many cases, people often end up in contact with the criminal justice system repeatedly, escalating their crimes - and it is only when they kill or nearly kill someone that the police and courts take any serious notice.

This was not a heat-of-the-moment offence. It involved pursuing someone, it involved a sustained attack on them, it involved a weapon and it caused physical harm. The knife was also wielded at security officers - it is in no way acceptable that they should have to face that.

I don't think suspended sentences are an effective punishment: in many ways, the courts treat them as more serious than things like community sentencing when often criminals just see them as having beaten the system. Even when someone reoffends while under suspended sentence, they are often allowed to wriggle out of it.

I think it brings our laws into contempt - and it's a wider problem than just this case.
Original post by looloo2134
My experience when by 15 year old niece was violent mugged at knife point by two ethic minority 18 year old women at train station in the evening. When the case come to trial the judge a man let the women off with £200 fine with they only had to pay £5 a month each because they were on JSA. The judge said he will not give young ladies a prison sentence and regrets that the case come to court because a criminal record could harm the young ladies future.

Do you believe an 18 year old white man who violent mugged a 15 year old boy at knife point would get away with £200 or would he get a prison sentence.

That sentence sounds abnormally low for a street robbery with a knife - do you have any press coverage you can point us to?

Compare with this case for example where the young black female offenders were also jailed, also in London.
http://news.met.police.uk/news/five-teenagers-jailed-for-spate-of-knife-point-robberies-on-east-london-taxi-drivers-240545

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending