The Student Room Group

Have the Tories accepted the Single Market? Latest news.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises

It's all down to Ireland again! In British Isles affairs, it always is.

Yes. But it is the Unionists who are driving the agenda, the Government falls without their support and they have said they would take a clean Brexit over the suggested agreement. These guys are tough and inflexible and they know all about the tactics of the southern Irish and Northern Irish Republicans. Backing down to them is not in their nature.

I don't see a way forward for the deal as described in your OP. Do you?

There could be a face saving fudge I suppose, but for that one side has to yield. Neither seems likely to.

Could we see a clean Brexit as a result of all this? Who knows, but we can but hope! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by nulli tertius
I was annoyed because I was looking for an opportunity to catch the Immingham Norway ferry but they closed it to foot passengers earlier this year.

So I heard.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Britain has apparently just accepted that Northern Ireland will continue to have full regulatory alignment to the Republic of Ireland.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/04/theresa-may-heads-to-brussels-hoping-to-conclude-phase-one-of-brexit-talks-politics-live

It's highly improbable that this can happen without the UK continuing to have full regulatory alignment with the EU.

That means continuation of the Single Market and European court rulings.

The ludicrous hard Brexiteers, people like Nigel Lawson, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Ian Duncan-Smith, are about to have apoplexy.

This was inevitable though, because there is no way we can leave the Single Market without a hard NI/Ireland border and the latter is impractical and unacceptable to all concerned.

It's all down to Ireland again! In British Isles affairs, it always is.

Fake news, it was not agreed

On top of that a "hard" border is only unacceptable/impractical because Ireland , shinners, and remoaners want us to think it is and want to lead you to believe it will mean armed checkpoints and border crossings and a return of the troubles, this would likely only be the case if the IRA are looking for an excuse to start bombing.

What would it likely be like to cross the "hard" border? Likely little different to crossing the Dartford River Crossing. The most obvious and practical solution for customs would be to operate similarly to a port: all the paperwork is done online and the lorry driver has a hard copy, everything effectively passes customs before it even gets to the border, you'd then have cameras on the border checking registrations and a checkpoint a few miles down the road for "random" checks. The only vaguely difficult thing you would have to workout is how to make the common travel area and freedom of movement work together when we're talking about something a little bigger than the channel islands
Original post by generallee
Yes. But it is the Unionists who are driving the agenda, the Government falls without their support and they have said they would take a clean Brexit over the suggested agreement. These guys are tough and inflexible and they know all about the tactics of the southern Irish and Northern Irish Republicans. Backing down to them is not in their nature.

I don't see a way forward for the deal as described in your OP. Do you?

There could be a face saving fudge I suppose, but for that one side has to yield. Neither seems likely to.

Could we see a clean Brexit as a result of all this? Who knows, but we can but hope! :smile:

If we had a competent PM the DUP wouldn't have to have stepped in, it's the Conservative AND UNIONIST party, but May doesn't believe her own rhetoric and desperately wants a deal, just like Cameron.
Annex Ireland!

Quick Reply

Latest