English Literature Tips Watch

Sam.T.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am doing a mock exam on An Inspector Calls & AQA Power +Conflict Poetry. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to write effectively, especially on the unseen poetry.

Thank You
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Winnie13
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sam.T.)
Hi, I am doing a mock exam on An Inspector Calls & AQA Power +Conflict Poetry. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to write effectively, especially on the unseen poetry.

Thank You
Hi, for unseen Poetry A, you must compare the speakers feelings in two poems. To do so choose a good quote that you can fully analyse with terminology and the methods used to present the feelings. You could also write about what the effects have on the reader and always spend five minutes or so reading over the poem(s) to understand the message and meaning as to why the writer wrote it.

I hope this helps!
LibraStarsXo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sam.T.)

Thank You
What I do to improve my writing techniques, is to read other peoples' online essays on the same book or context I'm studying. For unseen poetry, you can practise analyzing poems you already know and practice understanding the effects of a certain literary device for e.g.: the metaphor for death 'silent land' portrays death as a calm transition to the next life, which is reinforced by the adjective, 'silent.' Silent has connotations such as peace and relaxing. The poet's choice of the word 'land' also gives the reader an idea that death is a more 3-dimensional setting and so forth that maybe makes the reader more interested in the poem.
Also Litcharts or BBC bitesize on inspector calls are great websites, although Litcharts have more info based on characters and themes.
Another tip is to create a mindmap and write down quotes based on a character or theme, then revise it. I hope this helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (116)
17.6%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.62%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (115)
17.45%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.72%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
30.05%

Watched Threads