Abbie006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!
Is it better to study at your own sixth form where you k ow the teachers or a totally new school with other kids or a college?
15klloyd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it depends on how good your sixth form is at your school. Check out others you’re considering, and if it seems better for you, go for it
Abbie006
Rep:
?
Thank you!
The sixth form at my school is not that great but the teachers are okay..
Im just worried when I go to another secondary sixth form would I be the 'new' person whos from another school??
C_Yap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My sixth form is really good academically (about 30% of achieved grades at A level is A*), and everyone knew who I was.

However, I now would have rather gone to a different school to be in a more unfamiliar environment and meet new people.
Abbie006
Rep:
?
Thanks!
15klloyd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If the sixth form you are interested is really great loads of people will want to join from other schools, so there would be loads of new people
faloodeh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
personally i hated my schools sixth form, so the decision to go somewhere else was a good one for me (and worth sacrificing the social security)

im much happier here but it has its drawbacks.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abbie006)
Hi!
Is it better to study at your own sixth form where you k ow the teachers or a totally new school with other kids or a college?
Very good question ... I think staying at your own sixth form (which I did and am currently studying at) is a good idea because you'll know your teachers very well but only stay if they offer the subjects you want to do and if you'll be happy staying there. I would go to a different sixth form/college if they didn't offer a subject you want to do and/or if your current school is far away from home. Hope that helps.
bekahh_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went to a sixth form college for a couple of days and ended up leaving and going back to my old school for sixth form. I think it really depends on your preference, but in the end im glad I stayed at my school sixth form because I know the teachers really well and ive been able to create good relationships with them.

Academically my sixth form is good, but never used to be. In the end sixth is what you make of it, whether its good or not, if you're determined and can keep up with work and not be afraid to ask questions, then you wont have any trouble getting the grades you want.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!
I got good grades at my high school for GCSE, had a few close friends and good relationships with most of the teachers I'd get. I left it all behind and never regretted any of it!

I'm in year 13 now and I honestly couldn't even imagine staying at my high school. I go to a sixth form college and have so many better friends, more freedom, treated more like an adult and am generally happier than I ever would've been there.
Abbie006
Rep:
?
Thanks guys
My sixth form is close but not that great and I didn't want to stay at the start of year 11. The sixth form i wanna go to is quite far away in finchely but i
me and my close friends do want to go.
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks guys
My sixth form is close but not that great and I didn't want to stay at the start of year 11. The sixth form i wanna go to is quite far away in finchely but i
me and my close friends do want to go.
My high school was a 10 minute bus ride away but my sixth form can be over an hour bus ride on a bad day. I'd still say it's worth it as it gives me time to do that homework I forgot on the bus!

It's good if you go with friends, I went with my (now) partner and a close friend and it's been great but I also know a lot of people who came alone and have made tons of friends.
Abbie006
Rep:
?
great help!
Blani1453
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by C_Yap)
My sixth form is really good academically (about 30% of achieved grades at A level is A*), and everyone knew who I was.

However, I now would have rather gone to a different school to be in a more unfamiliar environment and meet new people.
Which school did you go to?
amelia_jasinski
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I went to sixth form at my school because I knew the teachers and students well and trusted them that they'd help me do the best that I could. But I saw students from other schools coming to do sixth form at my school but no one was fazed by it. In sixth form people should be mature enough (a minority still have a way to go) to not give new people a hard time just because they are new, and the new people slotted in really well so hopefully that will give you some reassurance if you want to do sixth form elsewhere.
As someone said above, if you don't like where you are then you can always move
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads