The Student Room Group

pain in heart

I've been having pangs of pain in the area around my heart for 2 weeks now. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid and this is normal because it isn't crippling pain just uncomfortable. I've never been to see the GP or the doctor before so I don't take going lightly. Should I go to check if there's something wrong or leave it? I'm really scared if I go that there'll actually be nothing wrong and the feeling is normal.
Reply 1
'Call 999 for an ambulance immediately if you develop sudden severe chest pain. This is particularly important if the chest pain:

feels heavy, pressing or tight

lasts longer than 15 minutes

spreads to other parts of your body such as your arms, back or jaw

is alongside other symptoms such as breathlessness, nausea, sweating, or coughing up blood'

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chest-pain/
If your pain has been there for two weeks, then a trip to the GP will suffice.
Reply 3
Original post by AutumnSummers
I've been having pangs of pain in the area around my heart for 2 weeks now. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid and this is normal because it isn't crippling pain just uncomfortable. I've never been to see the GP or the doctor before so I don't take going lightly. Should I go to check if there's something wrong or leave it? I'm really scared if I go that there'll actually be nothing wrong and the feeling is normal.

Chest pain should not be left unchecked, but given that it's been 2 weeks it shouldn't be so urgent you need to be seen tonight.
Call your GP surgery tomorrow morning and say you are having chest pains and would like to talk to a doctor that day. You should get an urgent appt.
If the pain gets worse overnight call 111. If it becomes very painful, you have issues breathing, it spreads anywhere else or you throw up go to A&E or call 999.

Hope that helps and that it's nothing serious :smile:

Quick Reply