Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the extortionate price of UCL really worth the London city life? I can't decide whether it would be better for me to go to a better city, where I'll have less money, or a mediocre city where I'll have more money?
    Any ideas?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    UCL is quite a respected uni

:console::console::hugs::hugs::love::lovie::macarena:

ReputationRep:
    My friend goes there and told me it's awful in terms of student support and that's evidently something alot of UCL students agree on(I mean just check the student ratings) However, don't let that take away the fact that it's usually one of the top 5-10 ranked uni in the world and that it's pretty much smack-bang in central London which is fun.

ReputationRep:
    This is my problem, do I take uni life over my actual eduction, or should it be the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloepalmer)
    This is my problem, do I take uni life over my actual eduction, or should it be the other way round?

The reason the student rating is low is because there aren't many clubs
    and close to no support from lecturers so it's a do-it-yourself uni. If you're someone who is an independent worker then yes just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    im a student there and couldnt recommend it im afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)
    im a student there and couldnt recommend it im afraid
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=GovernmentEarner;74937340]Why?[/QUOTE

it depends on the other options, but generally, uness you spend at least 180 or so a week youll live far from UCL which is not ideal its very inconvnient, london really is very expensive generally so food transport etc is a bugger and yeah so overall ive spent a lot of my time wishing i went to bristol or whatever, a more well rounded student city and a better standard of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)

it depends on the other options, but generally, uness you spend at least 180 or so a week youll live far from UCL which is not ideal its very inconvnient, london really is very expensive generally so food transport etc is a bugger and yeah so overall ive spent a lot of my time wishing i went to bristol or whatever, a more well rounded student city and a better standard of life
    Do you think I should commute? From home it takes me 35-40mins. Also my other options are LSE (no reply yet), QMUL, and Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    I am a medicine applicant, I loved UCL, but the cost put me off (especially for 6 years!) and at the end of the day a degree’s a degree. I ended up applying to Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham and Cardiff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're money savvy you can rent a place in London for as little as 420PCM. Take buses/walk instead of tube and go to UCL bars for cheaper drinks.

I would recommend UCL to everyone! I had the best years there.

ReputationRep:
    How is UCL in terms of student support? Do they care about the student's mental wellbeing. I am quite scared to move to such a huge city without knowing anyone :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vagabondgirl)
    How is UCL in terms of student support? Do they care about the student's mental wellbeing. I am quite scared to move to such a huge city without knowing anyone :/
    They're very supportive and do care about wellbeing. Everyone (at least for my course anyway) had a personal tutor who we would meet up with throughout term for pastoral care. Then there are services such as uni GP and psychological services which offer therapy, group sessions on things like building confidence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    If you're money savvy you can rent a place in London for as little as 420PCM.
    But what if you don't want to live above a meth den in Peckham?

ReputationRep:
    If you're money savvy you can rent a place in London for as little as 420PCM. Take buses/walk instead of tube and go to UCL bars for cheaper drinks.

I would recommend UCL to everyone! I had the best years there.
    I would like to know where in Central London you can find 420PCM, its minimum 600PCM for a *****y bedsit, or shared accommodation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Maths and cheesecake)
    I would like to know where in Central London you can find 420PCM, its minimum 600PCM for a *****y bedsit, or shared accommodation.
    Not central. Tbh most students can't afford to live central after halls..

I lived in Holloway at 400PCM without bills for second year and. And yeah it was shared, but so are most student places, very few want to/and can afford to live by themselves.

ReputationRep:
    They're very supportive and do care about wellbeing. Everyone (at least for my course anyway) had a personal tutor who we would meet up with throughout term for pastoral care. Then there are services such as uni GP and psychological services which offer therapy, group sessions on things like building confidence.

Thanks for the response I am so glad to hear that. I thought UCL is pretty careless in terms of student support. Good to know that is not necessarily true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Do you think I should commute? From home it takes me 35-40mins. Also my other options are LSE (no reply yet), QMUL, and Nottingham
    I mean thats a personal decision for you to look at the pros and cons for but i have a couple of friends who commute from about that distance and they didnt find it an issue. they saved a lot of money, they had their home comforts which saved them a serious amount of time and because of their commute they had a lot more routine and structure in their lives but had less scope for spontaneity understandably. its a personal decision really though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam.100_)
    The reason the student rating is low is because there aren't many clubs
    and close to no support from lecturers so it's a do-it-yourself uni. If you're someone who is an independent worker then yes just go for it.
    When you say "there aren't many clubs..." what exactly are you referring to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.