The Student Room Group

Engineering University Degrees

I am thinking of going into engineering in the future but i am stuck between Civil Engineering and Mechanical engineering. However i did not pick Maths at A-Level. Would it still be possible to enter at University for a BEng or MEng without a foundation year? Or will the foundation year be mandatory?
Original post by JAYDEX
I am thinking of going into engineering in the future but i am stuck between Civil Engineering and Mechanical engineering. However i did not pick Maths at A-Level. Would it still be possible to enter at University for a BEng or MEng without a foundation year? Or will the foundation year be mandatory?

Without maths at A-level I believe your options for both civil and mechanical are extremely limited unless you do the foundation. I know UCL does not require A-level maths for its civil engineering degrees, but that's all that I am aware of - so you'd most likely to have to either take A-level maths or a foundation year.
Reply 2
If i took a foundation year in a University to prove my mathematical ability, would i be able to move to a more prestigious University with the qualification of the foundation year? Would it still be valid for futher applications?
Original post by JAYDEX
If i took a foundation year in a University to prove my mathematical ability, would i be able to move to a more prestigious University with the qualification of the foundation year? Would it still be valid for futher applications?

Possibly, I'm not sure though as I didn't go the foundation route.
Reply 4
Thanks for your help, I am quite interested in the UCL MEng Degree course, hopefully i will be able to pursue my aspirations futher in that aspect.

Quick Reply

Latest