kappa2892
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I'm about to start revising for my a levels and I was wondering which way do you think would be better?

My plan is to make notes on the textbooks and then split all of the information in the units into sub-topics. From these topics I will then write down all of the topics on another piece of paper and then try to recite everything from that topic.

Do you think it would be better to make notes on Word or Powerpoint?

Thanks

Itssbeckie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I find using word better personally, just depends on your preference
ktd0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the past I’ve used word and made them more like checklists I could print out and sit with, but the pro with PowerPoint would be that you could split it up easily based on topics for each slide. Could you try doing one subject on Word and another on PowerPoint to find what suits you better? Then you could copy and paste it into another format if it works better.
After a few years of studying, I’ve now found what works best for me in content heavy subjects, is to write down the key points on cards, and then test myself to work out what I know then focusing on learning the ones I’ve struggled with. After this I move onto past papers etc. I always used to think it would never help but I think it’s the testing yourself without feeling like your just marking questions that helps. I know this isn’t for everyone though.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends what kind of learner you are. If you're more of an active learner, PPT would be better suited (add in little quizzes too)
kappa2892
Rep:
?
(Original post by Itssbeckie)
I find using word better personally, just depends on your preference
Ok thanks
kappa2892
Rep:
?
(Original post by ktd0)
In the past I’ve used word and made them more like checklists I could print out and sit with, but the pro with PowerPoint would be that you could split it up easily based on topics for each slide. Could you try doing one subject on Word and another on PowerPoint to find what suits you better? Then you could copy and paste it into another format if it works better.
After a few years of studying, I’ve now found what works best for me in content heavy subjects, is to write down the key points on cards, and then test myself to work out what I know then focusing on learning the ones I’ve struggled with. After this I move onto past papers etc. I always used to think it would never help but I think it’s the testing yourself without feeling like your just marking questions that helps. I know this isn’t for everyone though.
Yeah that's a good way to do it too. I think I might try it like that or since I always lose those flash cards try putting it all on one word document then having another word document and having questions about each topic in there. So instead of carrying loads of flash cards with questions on them and ending up losing them, I can just have those two documents and then decide I want to do a test on Unit 1 for example and then find the questions and go from there.

Thanks for the reply
kappa2892
Rep:
?
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
It depends what kind of learner you are. If you're more of an active learner, PPT would be better suited (add in little quizzes too)
Problem is I don't know what kind of learner I am haha. During my GCSEs I pretty much crammed last minute and got 8 A - Cs but A levels it just is not possible

Thanks for the reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed