The Student Room Group

As mathematics statistics hypothesis testing

It is known from past records that 1 in 5 bowls produced in a pottery have minor defects. To monitor defects.To monitor production a random sample of 25 bowls was taken and the number of such bowls with defects was recorded.
A) using a 5% level of significance, find critical regions for a 2-tail test of the hypothesis that 1 in 5 bowls have minor defects. The probability of rejection, in either tail, should be no more than 2.5%?
B) state the actual significance level of the above test?
So u want the answer?
Reply 2
Original post by Man_Like_$
So u want the answer?

Yes please
Reply 3
Original post by Jake.f16
Yes please

Im really struggling I need some help or advice
Reply 4
I would first get the tables of cumulative binomial distribution up, found here https://goo.gl/TWxkow. Can you see how in this case you will be using X - B(25,0.2) as your binomial distribution. Then use the tables to find the values of x with probability less than, but as close to, 2.5% for both ends of this test. It's quite hard to explain in words.
Reply 5
Original post by number0
I would first get the tables of cumulative binomial distribution up, found here https://goo.gl/TWxkow. Can you see how in this case you will be using X - B(25,0.2) as your binomial distribution. Then use the tables to find the values of x with probability less than, but as close to, 2.5% for both ends of this test. It's quite hard to explain in words.

Be aware that some schools won't be teaching using tables anymore and certain tables won't be available depending on the spec. Calculators will be used more for the new spec.

x

Can you please tell us what you've tried so far and if you have been taught to do this using your calculator or tables?
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
Be aware that some schools won't be teaching using tables anymore and certain tables won't be available depending on the spec. Calculators will be used more for the new spec.

Can you please tell us what you've tried so far and if you have been taught to do this using your calculator or tables?

I remember doing this question with my edexcel spec, so i just assumed he was doing this spec aswell. Could be wrong tho. And tbh i think the tables are a lot faster and more simple way of doing these questions but thats just me
Reply 7
Original post by number0
I remember doing this question with my edexcel spec, so i just assumed he was doing this spec aswell. Could be wrong tho. And tbh i think the tables are a lot faster and more simple way of doing these questions but thats just me

If you're used to the new calculator then using it for these kinds of questions will be faster than using tables. Some teachers will teach the new spec only using a calculator and without tables. For normal distribution you have to use the calculator for certain questions.

In my personal opinion the use of a calculator is better because using tables is very old fashioned.
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek
If you're used to the new calculator then using it for these kinds of questions will be faster than using tables. Some teachers will teach the new spec only using a calculator and without tables. For normal distribution you have to use the calculator for certain questions.

In my personal opinion the use of a calculator is better because using tables is very old fashioned.

I agree for most cases the calculator is better but for this specific question where you find the critical values if you use the calculator you waste time just guessing values until you find the correct one, taking up time randomly putting values in, whilst with the tables you can just scroll through until you find easily the probability wanted for each end of the test.

Unless i am missing something and you dont have to just guess to find the critical value on the calculator
Reply 9
Original post by number0
I agree for most cases the calculator is better but for this specific question where you find the critical values if you use the calculator you waste time just guessing values until you find the correct one, taking up time randomly putting values in, whilst with the tables you can just scroll through until you find easily the probability wanted for each end of the test.

Unless i am missing something and you dont have to just guess to find the critical value on the calculator

It's not a random guess since 1 in 5 implies that the expected number of defects will be 5. So you check values around 5. It took me a few seconds after I got into the correct mode.

It's just my opinion but I'm a fan of trying to do every question using the calculator because you will get more practice and it means you can stick to one method instead of using both tables and calculator.
Original post by Notnek
It's not a random guess since 1 in 5 implies that the expected number of defects will be 5. So you check values around 5. It took me a few seconds after I got into the correct mode.

It's just my opinion but I'm a fan of trying to do every question using the calculator because you will get more practice and it means you can stick to one method instead of using both tables and calculator.

But you still then have to find the upper critical value, which is surely undeniably better with the tables. Love me a good debate on statistical tables.
But it is each to their own, don't really know why im still arguing, just bored rly
Reply 12
Original post by number0
But you still then have to find the upper critical value, which is surely undeniably better with the tables. Love me a good debate on statistical tables.

You have to find a probability above 0.975 which is just as fast as finding the lower value. A lot of teachers would argue with me but I'm just a calcualtor fan. Thanks for the debate :smile:
Reply 13
So can someone help me with this question or not???

Henry where u at bro
Reply 14
So can someone help me with this question or not???

Henry where u at bro

@number0 already told you what to do. You really need to show us what you know and what you've tried so far.

Quick Reply

Latest