Madas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In Law Of Tort we were discussing points relating Duty of Care. A scenario came up regarding an Off Duty firefighter who sought damages in negligence against a guy who accidentally killed himself by accidentally setting himself alight. The off duty officer tried to assist but was unable to due to the flames and has now been off work suffering from depression and anxiety. It must be noted that the officer was never actually physically injured. We were asked to discuss points that go against the officers claims regarding Duty of Care. I was wondering if anyone could help with points or cases against the officers claim? Secondary Victims, Anything to do with them being Off-Duty etc?Thank you.
NHM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the firefighter is a secondary victim, the answer is within the case, Alcock v Chief Constable of South Yorkshire which establishes a four-part test in order to claim damages for psychiatric harm. If the firefighter is a secondary victim, it is likely his claim would fall it at the first hurdle (close ties of love and affection with a primary victim) unless the guy who set himself on fire was his dad, child, husband or so on... Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads