The Student Room Group

Are charity shops any good?

I've never been to one before, but I want to find some vintage clothes and a charity shop seems like a great place to go.

Would I realistically find much that is 'wearable', or will I have to go to multiple places? Would shoes be a complete no-no, or would it be fine as long as I wash them?

Sorry, a bit clueless here.
Reply 1
I love charity shops! I've lost count of how many great bargains I got from charity shops. I even got my purple wedding dress from one :h: Most clothing and other items in charity shops look brand new.

I'd happily wear anything other than bras and underwear from a charity shop. I prefer charity shops to normal shops a lot of the time because you find so many great bargains plus you are helping out a good cause too :smile:

Just give any clothes or footwear a wash when you get home if you feel the need. I don't usually wash anything I get from a charity shop but there's no harm in washing the items you buy if you want to :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
charity shops are awesome, get most of my clothes from there
if you got to one in a really posh area its even better cos people throw out stuff when they have only worn it a couple times so they are basically new just at a far lower price
i bought my current shoes from a charity shop ?
Reply 5
It really depends on the charity shop, go to an area with a higher proportion of middle class etc. people you're more likely to find better loot in them.
I worked at a charity shop for a few months and they chuck half the things in a bin at the back without really looking at it
I volunteer at a charity shop and there's usually some really nice things.
They chuck a lot of the stuff that are ripped/missing/broken so although most of the stuff they sell have been worn before, they're usually still in good condition.
It's hit and miss, and obviously finding something good will take more effort than going into a mainstream store or buying online.

But I recommend it. And pro-tip, charity shops in well off areas have way better stock.

Quick Reply

Latest