The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

International Students 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marialeksok
I hope so too! Edinburgh's entry requirements are often lower than Glasgow's requirements (at least in some subjects?). However, I still think that Glasgow is more likely to give an offer.. But fingers crossed!!

Yes, for my subject they're lower but I'm worried I won't get an offer... At least I have an offer from Aberdeen :smile:, but Edinburgh's obviously much more prestigious so I'd be really happy to get an offer from them!What other universities did you apply to?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by FinnToScotland
I'm from Finland as well and I must say that the entry requirements for Finnish applicants at Glasgow are not really fair. Compared to the A-levels, it's much harder to get in as a Finnish student. I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be any Finnish student getting in.

It's so unfair... My requirements were 4 times Laudatur (the best mark) and 2 Eximias (the second highest mark). I already have 2 Laudaturs but there is no way I'm going to achieve 2 more nor even Eximia from every subject..
It's so unfair... My requirements were 4 times Laudatur (the best mark) and 2 Eximias (the second highest mark). I already have 2 Laudaturs but there is no way I'm going to achieve 2 more nor even Eximia from every subject..

I already sent them plenty of emails complaining about this issue but they wouldn’t change a thing. I hope every Finnish student would make a complain in order for us to achieve something.
Original post by hysterria
Yes, for my subject they're lower but I'm worried I won't get an offer... At least I have an offer from Aberdeen :smile:, but Edinburgh's obviously much more prestigious so I'd be really happy to get an offer from them!What other universities did you apply to?

I'm a little worried as well.. In addition to applying to Edinburgh and Glasgow, I applied to Dundee and Aberdeen. I applied to Edinburgh in two different programmes because I really want to go there. I know that I most likely get only one offer from Edinburgh (if even that). I was asked to email my programme preference after I had applied.
I already sent them plenty of emails complaining about this issue but they wouldn’t change a thing. I hope every Finnish student would make a complain in order for us to achieve something.

They can't be aware of our system here.. It must be harder to get the highest mark here than it is in most European countries. I don't want to sound dismissive but getting the best grade is just really difficult in Finland.. I wish that they could still accept me even if I couldn't achieve the requirements. And yeah, complaining about the unfair requirements is pretty much all that we can do.
They can't be aware of our system here.. It must be harder to get the highest mark here than it is in most European countries. I don't want to sound dismissive but getting the best grade is just really difficult in Finland.. I wish that they could still accept me even if I couldn't achieve the requirements. And yeah, complaining about the unfair requirements is pretty much all that we can do.

I really would like to call them but I think I’m too scared to do that. Luckily Edinburgh is better than Glasgow and they only require two L’s.
Reply 86

It's the same for every EU Applicants I guess :biggrin: ! I'm french and Glasgow is asking me to have 17/20 overall and 16 in three subjects which is very very high... I don't Edinburgh will make me an offer with easier conditions tho (if ever they give me an answer lmao) :smile:
Someone says to me that maybe if you do not meet the conditions but still are very close, you can ask the University for a place. I think I saw that they may send you a slightly different place than the one you asked for tho.
I hail from Finland as well and I also emailed them last week, after I had received an offer, regarding the same topic you've discussed. For instance, they demanded an L in math and only 3% of students receive that grade in Finland...
Last your they asked for only one L. 🤔
I really would like to call them but I think I’m too scared to do that. Luckily Edinburgh is better than Glasgow and they only require two L’s.

Tell me about it!!! I’m so relieved..
Original post by sofimelissa
I hail from Finland as well and I also emailed them last week, after I had received an offer, regarding the same topic you've discussed. For instance, they demanded an L in math and only 3% of students receive that grade in Finland...

I assume the offer depends on the subject which you are applying but honestly L from Math is almost impossible to get.. unless you are Einstein
Any international students with an offer for Medicine? Can't seem to find anyone else :frown: I really don't want to be the only overseas student!
Original post by teetwo123
Any international students with an offer for Medicine? Can't seem to find anyone else :frown: I really don't want to be the only overseas student!

I'm sure I've seen a few international offers in the medicine stickied post :borat:
1.Where are you from? Panama
2.Where did you apply? Abertay, West Scoland, Staffordshire, Manchester Metropolitan, University of the arts london, University of Utah (USA)
3.What course(s) did you apply for? Game design
4.When did you apply? December. I think.
5.Have you received any offers or rejections? I got an offer from almost all of my choices.

I firmly accepted Abertay. Anyone else going?
1.Where are you from? Malaysia
2.Where did you apply? Edinburgh, Leeds, York, QMUL, Manchester
3.What course(s) did you apply for? Undergraduate LLB
4.When did you apply? October 15
5.Have you received any offers or rejections? All Acceptances w/ 2 scholarships.
from what university??
Original post by emilykral
Hi, I am from Slovakia and I have also received an offer (for Psychology MA) with tough conditions. But the biggest problem is their Maths requirement, these are the conditions of my offer: Grade 1 in all subjects in the Maturita (including Maths) with at least 4 different Level A subjects including 2 Humanities subjects. I am unsure if that means I need to take Maths or if I were taking it, I would have to be given the best grade possible. Since I am not about to do Maths in my maturita (and they should know it, it was stated in my ucas application), it is quite important for me to know. Unfortunately, the uni is not responding to my e-mails for more than a month.Thanks for your help/opinion! (anyone)
1.Where are you from?
Seattle USA
2.Where did you apply?
Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Kings, UCL
3.What course(s) did you apply for?
Philosophy and Politics at Edinburgh, liberal arts at kings, PPE at UCL, film studies and philosophy at st. andrews and glasgow
4.When did you apply?
Early February
5.Have you received any offers or rejections?
Unconditional to Kings and Edinburgh, waiting on St. Andrews and Glasgow, denied from UCL

1.Where are you from? California, US
2.Where did you apply? Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow, Bristol and Chester
3.What course(s) did you apply for? MSc. Mathematics, Year 2
4.When did you apply? January 5th
5.Have you received any offers or rejections? Unconditional from Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Chester, and conditional from Bristol (Physics C Mech/EM 5,5)

I recently committed to Edinburgh after my visit and I'm really excited to meet everyone who will be going here! Best of luck to you all :smile:
1.Where are you from? Chicago, USA
2.Where did you apply? Edinburgh, St Andrews, Cambridge, Trinity College Dublin
3.What course(s) did you apply for? MSc in French Studies
4.When did you apply? March 15
5.Have you received any offers or rejections? Unconditional from TCD; still anxiously awaiting responses from the others...
Reply 99
Original post by ALEXJOYCE9622
Hi everyone! I just applied and wanted to see where everyone is with their applications and how quickly/slowly which unit are getting back to you guys.
1.Where are you from?
2.Where did you apply?
3.What course(s) did you apply for?
4.When did you apply?
5.Have you received any offers or rejections?

Here are my answers:
1.Where are you from? America
2.Where did you apply? Edinburgh, Leeds, Glasgow, Exeter, and Dundee
3.What course(s) did you apply for? Graduate LLB
4.When did you apply? December 1st
5.Have you received any offers or rejections? No-will keep updated when I do

1. I'm from India
2. Bristol, Sheffield ,Warwick , Birmingham, Queen Mary
3. electrical engineering
4. 14 January
5. I have received 5 conditional offers with almost similar conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending