The Student Room Group

Aerospace Engineering

what are the best uni's to study Aerospace Engineering? also is that the best way to get into Aerospace Engineering or are there other uni courses that might be better?
I'd say the top ones are, in no particular order: Glasgow, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Imperial, Bristol, Bath. I would also add in UWE, Manchester, Surrey, and Southampton which I would say are top, but they're also controversial e.g. Soton massively overhypes their course, Surrey rides off the reputation of SSTL a lot, and after being at a lot of networking events/interviews, UWE gets discounted by some companies for not being a Russell group-esque uni, but it's highly favoured by other companies, and equally Manchester doesn't have that great a course but gets lumped in because it's a more prestigious uni. People are going to argue with me about this kind of thing mattering for engineering, but the fact is a lot of companies do discriminate by the uni you go to and often play favours.

For choosing which one to go to, you'll need to decide if you want to focus solely on mechanical, are ok with some EEE, want to do a good amount of EEE, or would like a lot of choice in what you want to do. Sheffield is definitely the answer if you want a more general degree due to its streams allowing you to do a lot of pretty much whatever you want, Bristol if you want to do a good amount of EEE, Leeds if you want solely mechanical, then most others will fall into the 'ok with some EEE' section.

As for alternatives, some of the bigger companies are really investing in higher apprenticeships. So for these you get paid to do your degree and all your tuition is paid for, you will also work for the company during your degree and are pretty much guaranteed a graduate job afterwards. The downside is that you lose a lot of choice compared to going through the degree yourself, e.g. you would usually sign up to one role at the beginning and won't have much room to move around, go to other companies, or even different careers.
Thank-you so much for such a detailed response!
Original post by heathersmusical
Thank-you so much for such a detailed response!

Just realised I also forgot Loughborough off the list of top unis. Also Nottingham should perhaps be on the controversial list as it's a new course, but I think enough years will have gone through before you start that this won't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest