The Student Room Group

a mathmo's road to somewhere (acxountability log)

Hey, I'm Danila, and I really want to do Maths.

I just had my interview at Churchill College (Cambridge) and it didn't go as planned, the pressure from meeting new people really got to me and I wasn't able to show my thought process and I buckled and didn't do well.

After the interview I redid the problems with relative ease and I really wish I could have shown my actual thinking side without looking like an idiot. Anyways, at the end of my interview they told me to 'do more STEP', and I said 'okay'.
So the plan is to push myself and do at least two hours of STEP everyday, regardless of arrands, holidays, and excuses; being as strict as possible.

The point of this post/thread is to hold myself accountable towards reaching this goal, and I'm hoping that being public about this will help.
A-levels:
AQA Chemistry, OCR Maths and Further Maths

Uni choices:
Bath,
Cambridge,
Durham,
Imperial,
St. Andrews,

I will add more personal info later.

For now I have a google drive of all the STEP work that I've done for the day. This will be somehow organised into months, and I will be taking a photo of my work, converting to pdf, and sharing it for the world to see. The point this is to not only be more accountable, but also to get feedback from mathematicians. I may also repost some of my work in other forums if I have individual questions.

ACCOUNTABILITY DRIVE:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GQM8gsk6V5kMzcZx3GVNbocJD_EetMYa?usp=sharing

My plan is to post ~8pm daily, although this can change if my schedule gets hectic.

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dkurganov
Hey, I'm Danila, and I really want to do Maths.

I just had my interview at Churchill College and it didn't go as planned, the pressure from meeting new people really got to me and I wasn't able to show my thought process and I buckled and didn't do well.

After the interview I redid the problems with relative ease and I really wish I could have shown my actual thinking side without looking like an idiot. Anyways, at the end of my interview they told me to 'do more STEP', and I said 'okay'. So the plan is to push myself and do at least two hours of STEP problems everyday, regardless of holiday, other stuff going on in my life, being as strict as possible.

The point of this post/thread is to hold myself accountable towards reaching this goal, and I'm hoping that being public about this will help.

Anyways, I'm going to add my personal statement, ucas choices and more to this later onwards my journey.

As I rarely use student room sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Road starts today, I'm going to rep back at 8PM London time.

Hi Danila, it sounds like you have a plan which is great. I really hope everything goes well for you :smile:

If you're not already aware, there's an amazing STEP Prep Thread which has loads of information and you can get answers to your questions whenever you're stuck.

Also, there's an area on TSR called Grow Your Grades, which is for people like you to post updates about how everything is going. Have a look through this forum and let me know if you want me to move your thread there.
Reply 2
Thanks! I hope I stick to this schedule, and thanks for the link to the step prep thread, qill defo check that out when a tricky problem comes.
If you could move my post to the grow your grades forum I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for the help amd advice!

I've moved it for you :smile:
I'll be following. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
I'll be following. :h:

Obviously :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Obviously :smile:

anyone who can make me a script to auto-follow any maths GYGs hmu. :rofl:
Hey
Today I did stuff
Also looks like its more than just me on this thread so hi!

I skipped some of the perms and combs, I'll do them later. I'm hoping to set a date possible sunday where all I do is perms and combs and hopefully the concept will be ingrained into my mind after 3/4 past attempts.

Anyways today I skipped into expected value. As I did some of this in S1 I kind of knew what to do for the easier problems, but some of the applications are quite powerful and more practice will hopefully get me to solving a variety of problems.

Also I genuinely don't know how to use studentroom, so although I was tagged in something sorry if I completely ignored you.

anyways, I've kind of been off-focus these past few days (I wanted to get more done); the christmas spirit some of my friends bring gets in the way of the real fun.. reduction formulae :tongue:.

That was probably me :P

Reduction formula aren't that bad, it can just be tedious sometimes. There are some that work out quite nicely, In=tannθdθ\displaystyle I_n = \int \tan^n \theta \mathrm d\theta for instance.

In=sinnθsinθdθ\displaystyle I_n = \int \frac{\sin n\theta}{\sin \theta} \mathrm d\theta is quite a nice exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending