. How is the movement of Na+/K+ different from the movement of neurotransmitters acr

Watch
Rafa4real
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi guys, who knows the answer to the question below please. its has kept me awake all night.?

'How is the movement of Na+/K+ different from the movement of neuro transmitters across a plasma membrane'?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, sorry about your sleepless night (!):-

Na+ and K+ move across the plasma membrane by active transport using a carrier molecule called Na+, K+ - ATPase, which needs energy in the form of ATP for this "pump" to act; for every three ions of sodium in one direction, two ions of potassium move in the opposite direction e.g. in the kidney, Na+ is normally conserved in exchange for K+, the latter being excreted (in the proximal convoluted tubule). This conservation of sodium is promoted by the renin-aldosterone-angiotension system; in Addison's disease, in which there is a deficiency of production of aldosterone by the adrenal cortex, there is loss of sodium leading to hypovolaemia ([GREEK: hypo = low] low fluid volume including blood volume) and a drop in blood pressure [which can be profound].

This Na+/K+ pump is also the basis for the development of a net negative charge within neurones (nerve cells).

IN CONTRAST, the movement of neurotransmitter across the plasma membrane involves the fusion of the vesicular membrane (vesicles are minute round [usually for excitatory neurotransmitters e.g. noradrenaline] or oval [for inhibitory ones e.g. GABA] globules that contain neurotransmitter) with the plasma membrane (the vesicle kind of pinches off the plasma membrane!) and extrusion of the contained neurotransmitter - this process is called exocytosis (GREEK: exo = outside; cyto = cell).

Hope this helps.
GOOD NIGHT!
Rafa4real
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Hi, sorry about your sleepless night (!):-

Na+ and K+ move across the plasma membrane by active transport using a carrier molecule called Na+, K+ - ATPase, which needs energy in the form of ATP for this "pump" to act; for every three ions of sodium in one direction, two ions of potassium move in the opposite direction e.g. in the kidney, Na+ is normally conserved in exchange for K+, the latter being excreted (in the proximal convoluted tubule). This conservation of sodium is promoted by the renin-aldosterone-angiotension system; in Addison's disease, in which there is a deficiency of production of aldosterone by the adrenal cortex, there is loss of sodium leading to hypovolaemia ([GREEK: hypo = low] low fluid volume including blood volume) and a drop in blood pressure [which can be profound].

This Na+/K+ pump is also the basis for the development of a net negative charge within neurones (nerve cells).

IN CONTRAST, the movement of neurotransmitter across the plasma membrane involves the fusion of the vesicular membrane (vesicles are minute round [usually for excitatory neurotransmitters e.g. noradrenaline] or oval [for inhibitory ones e.g. GABA] globules that contain neurotransmitter) with the plasma membrane (the vesicle kind of pinches off the plasma membrane!) and extrusion of the contained neurotransmitter - this process is called exocytosis (GREEK: exo = outside; cyto = cell).

Hope this helps.
GOOD NIGHT!
thanks macpatelgh. really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
40.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.44%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.56%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.19%

Watched Threads