Have your say: Teaching - should you believe everything you hear?

Watch this thread
isabel.sax
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Teaching - should you believe everything you hear? article.

Read the full Teaching - should you believe everything you hear? article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
chelseacarknif3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Teaching is something I've been considering more recently, and I think it's definitely something you need to talk to people about from all different perspectives. There's a lot of bad things about the profession being said all the time, and often the good things are forgotten. There's no doubt it's incredibly difficult, but it can also be so rewarding too
04MR17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thoughts on the info TSR has on Teacher Training? Answer this:
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/L3QYWJ37

This survey was at the bottom of that article so I thought I'd post it here too isabel.sax
isabel.sax
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you 04MR17
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Well, i started a PhD because I wanted to get into research. I'm finishing it wanting to get more into teaching.
ParadoxSocks
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Before I became a teacher, it was all I ever wanted. It all built up to this and slogging through my PGDE and the essays, training, acting classes, everything would be worth it.

I find the sunshine and rainbow adverts to be incredibly depressing, to be honest. If they can't be honest about the reality of teaching and still recruit people, then they have no right twisting it to make it seem better.

Yeah, we have those days where we can be brilliant. Where we're throwing stuff around the room to represent a neural network or running around outside pretending to be a CPU but the other 90% of the time we're teaching to spec to get a set of exams passed. That's the reality nobody wants to talk about. I've seen friends sob in the cupboards between lessons, it's not pretty.

I adore teaching, I don't know what else I would do but it's definitely a case of burning yourself out for the sake of others. Expectations are high, money is low (both salary and resources) and students and teachers are suffering for it.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
Before I became a teacher, it was all I ever wanted. It all built up to this and slogging through my PGDE and the essays, training, acting classes, everything would be worth it.

I find the sunshine and rainbow adverts to be incredibly depressing, to be honest. If they can't be honest about the reality of teaching and still recruit people, then they have no right twisting it to make it seem better.

Yeah, we have those days where we can be brilliant. Where we're throwing stuff around the room to represent a neural network or running around outside pretending to be a CPU but the other 90% of the time we're teaching to spec to get a set of exams passed. That's the reality nobody wants to talk about. I've seen friends sob in the cupboards between lessons, it's not pretty.

I adore teaching, I don't know what else I would do but it's definitely a case of burning yourself out for the sake of others. Expectations are high, money is low (both salary and resources) and students and teachers are suffering for it.
Well said.:heart:
a101325
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My best advice would be talk to teachers who actually teach in the classroom and get as much school experience as possible.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)

Agreed. But the key is to ensure that the students are working harder than us as teachers. Not quite figured that one out yet but getting there. As for all the other stuff. You do what you need to and no more. If stamping work is easier that giving out stickers, I am stamping work.
0range
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I work as a maths teacher (in training this year) at an outstanding school and the things that are expected are ridiculous.
I teach 20 lessons a week
I do 10 hours of marking a week outside of school hours. I have to also plan lessons, talk to parents, meet parents, have to do all this extra admin stuff.

To top it all off teachers at my school this year got forced to run an after school activity every week. Literally forced volunteering.

Teaching is not a job, it's a lifestyle. People need to understand this before they get roped in to it by all the lies (I'm looking at you Get into teaching, who btw sponsored this article...)

(Original post by ByEeek)
Agreed. But the key is to ensure that the students are working harder than us as teachers. Not quite figured that one out yet but getting there. As for all the other stuff. You do what you need to and no more. If stamping work is easier that giving out stickers, I am stamping work.
I somewhat agree, there are always little things that teachers can do to make things more manageable but even with these the workload and expectations are too high.
username1799249
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 0range)
I somewhat agree, there are always little things that teachers can do to make things more manageable but even with these the workload and expectations are too high.
It is what it is. I'm sitting here on Christmas day looking forward to two weeks off work with my kids. On weeks that I mark things are busy but then other weeks are very quiet. I also go home most days at 4pm or earlier.

Of course you could swap that for the joy that is sitting behind a desk for 8 hours a day.
abhinair3004
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It is as thankless job but it is also a once in a lifetime opportunity. If I was able to know that I had positively affected someones life as a teacher, I'd say I've succeeded at life.
Here's to all the teachers who work hard and devote their lives to the betterment of a future generations
0range
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The government wouldn't need to be trying so hard to recruit teachers/ be selling lies to the younger generation if teaching was all that they said it is.

Now don't get me wrong I love teaching, and I will probably continue to teach. The feeling you get when you're in a classroom is amazing, but the sacrifices you have to make are intense. I've lost friends, I've lost hobbies, I've stopped doing the things that I used to love doing and people need to know about this side to teaching before the enrol onto it.

(Original post by ByEeek)
It is what it is. I'm sitting here on Christmas day looking forward to two weeks off work with my kids. On weeks that I mark things are busy but then other weeks are very quiet. I also go home most days at 4pm or earlier.

Of course you could swap that for the joy that is sitting behind a desk for 8 hours a day.
I'm assuming it gets easier with time and you've been teaching a while? Or you've landed with a very lucky school.
username1799249
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 0range)
I'm assuming it gets easier with time and you've been teaching a while? Or you've landed with a very lucky school.
Both. I teach computing so only plan a few lessons a week but teach 500+ kids. Marking is a killer. Planning is a doddle. I also work in a department that takes a dim view of anything that takes longer than it should. So why use stickers when you can use a stamp to mark homework for example?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads