New GCSE: English Literature and Language Tips, anyone?

Watch
PhilipMarket
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I was wondering if anyone who'd taken the exams with the new spec this year could give any advice to those of us taking the exams in May? It'd be really appreciated since we're kind of treading on new territory, with most of our GCSEs being fully exam-based nowadays.

Specifically, my school takes GCSE English Language and Literature from Edexcel on the new 1-9 specification. Any tips for the new exams? We're still not able to look at the past papers, which frustrates me a little...

Is there any specific (or general too, I suppose) advice you could give us?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got 2 9s in english (AQA) and would be happy to help particularly with an inspector calls. Not really sure of any "general" advice to give but I can answer any specific questions. I guess, keep an eye on the time and plan responses beforehand to make sure you avoid going off on unconstructive tangents that don't relate to the question and hence waste time.
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your school will have sample papers from last year, use them instead of the past papers. We (I’m a current Year 12) didn’t have the past papers and we were fine. The key to the GCSE Language paper is just doing a checklist of the techniques you need to get in and put them in as you go. They are you on that. No matter how good your creative writing is, it doesn’t matter if you don’t use techniques.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nightisdark)
Your school will have sample papers from last year, use them instead of the past papers. We (I’m a current Year 12) didn’t have the past papers and we were fine. The key to the GCSE Language paper is just doing a checklist of the techniques you need to get in and put them in as you go. They are you on that. No matter how good your creative writing is, it doesn’t matter if you don’t use techniques.
oh actually this has given me some ideas but I'll write a more detailed post when I get home. cheers.
PhilipMarket
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the advice, guys! I suppose if we want to zoom in on certain topics a little, I feel like I absolutely failed My Jekyll and Hyde Mock. It asked us about 'help' and we'd never studied it so my mind just blanked on me and I panicked! I barely had enough time to answer the poetry portion of the Language paper! I could really do with some help on Jekyll and Hyde, An Inspector Calls (themes, characters or essay technique, please), Conflict Poetry and Unseen Poetry. Transactional writing is probably a priority too, as I got a 6 in that last time and I'm really after a 7 or higher (I'm trying to get straight 7+ grades - wish me luck!)

Looking forward to more replies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
27.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed